098. sacrifice

They get to their hideout in the cemetery from the other day. They walk past the rift and go into the crypt, Sam locking the doors while Dean and Cas create salt lines around the place.

Rowena gets her stuff out and starts to perform her spell as something starts banging from the other side of the door.

"Looks like it's working." Sam says, getting a text from one of the hunters that are still by the neighborhood.

Rowena starts to breathe heavily as she seems to start struggling. The bowl clatters to the floor and Rowena falls down.

"Rowena?" Dean asks.

"We're all going to die." Rowena states, terrified. "Drink." She orders.

"Of course. Dean." Sam says, Dean handing him a water bottle.

"A real drink." Rowena states.

Dean gives her his flask, somewhat reluctantly, and Rowena takes a drink of the alcohol.

"Okay, now that we're waiting for the witch's hooch to kick in, can we finally admit the obvious?" Belphegor asks. "Uh, she failed. So if we're keeping scores, that's, uh, 1 for the demon, uh, 0 for the witch."

"The enchantment couldn't work. No magic could. The spell put me into a-a communion with the wall. I-I could feel how weak it is, how close to collapse-- and I could feel why. I could feel them. All of them." Rowena states.

"All of them? Them who?" Sam asks.

"The spirits. Their anger and their hatred, writhing and raging. They're pressed up against those walls breaking them down. There are too many, and they're too wild and desperate and angry." Rowena explains. "Together, they are too strong. Those walls will fall, and there's no magic on earth that can stop it."

"How long do we have?" Cas asks.

"Hours, if we're lucky." Rowena answers.

"Then we get out of here and we take out as many as we possibly can before those walls fall. Rowena, mix up some of those crystals you got." Dean says and Rowena laughs.

"It wouldn't matter! Those things? It would be like tossing mousetraps at the Great Plague. I'm telling you -- it's over!" Rowena declares.

"Perhaps if I'd gotten here sooner, there are any number of spells I could've tried to close the gate to Hell before it got to this point. But now it's too late. The cat's out of the bloody bag." Rowena states.

"Where the hell you going?" Dean asks Belphegor who starts to leave, but the demon doesn't reply. "Hey! Wh--"

"I got him." Cas follows Belphegor.

"We're not just gonna give up. That's not who we are. Let's go out there and let's take care of--" Dean is cut off as Sam motions for him to be quiet. Sam kneels next to Rowena.

"Rowena. Hey. You okay? You need anything?" Sam asks.

"A moment." She tells him.

"Of course. Sure." Sam nods, getting up and stepping away from her.

~ ~ ~

"Hey. What are you doing?" Sam asks Dean.

"I'm not gonna give up. That's what I'm doing. Not just gonna sit in this crypt and wait for the walls to come down." Dean says.

"You heard Rowena." Sam says.

"Yeah, I heard her, okay? Ghosts are gonna bust out, and they're gonna swallow this world. And you want to what, just relax? Take a knee? No. No, we're gonna end this, Sam. Like you said. We're gonna be free." Dean says.