Reaching for the stars

Jan 2025 - 2nd Wedding Anniversary

Ashwin had planned a quiet candle light dinner for just the two of them. Sivaangi did not have the energy to dress up and go out. All she wanted was a nice long bath and get into something fresh comfortable, something that did not smell like a lactating mom. Sivaangi stepped out of the shower wrapped in a towel. She smiled at the clothes her husband had neatly laid out for her. A nice clean set of pajamas. The top had buttons on the front and the pant was of 3/4 length. Definitely not something sexy but very welcoming indeed. She lightly dried her hair and brushed it. Her hair curled up naturally. There was a note with two items there, lipstick and eyeliner. The note said, "You look the most gorgeous with no make up but how about a simple touch up for our date tonight". She smiled and picked up the items. Once she was satisfied with the look, she slowly stepped out of the room. Silence...wow... this was so blissful.

She took a peek at the nursery and there he was. He looked like a giant holding his tiny princess, rocking her. Isha was just about 8 weeks old and had already conquered her dad's heart. She was a tiny 6lbs baby girl who had come into this world on November 14. Kadavul Setting? She shared her birthday with her favourite Mama, Pugazh. A tiny bundle of love. While Sivaangi stood there admiring this beautiful duo, the baby must have recognized her mom's presence and started whimpering and squirming. Sivaangi's breast automatically responded to the cues. Her baby was hungry, again. It seemed like she had just fed her but a couple of dirty diapers and the little tummy was hungry again.

Sivaangi sighed and walked towards Ashwin unbuttoning her shirt. She sat on the rocking chair and he placed the baby on her lap. The baby latched on right away and sucked on hungrily. Ashwin placed a pillow under the baby for support. He couldn't help admiring this beautiful sight. The most beautiful bond between a mother and her baby.

Sivaangi had grown up saying she is a tomboy. Never in her dreams did she think that an handsome guy like Ashwin would sweep her off the floor, that she would be married to him and one day become a mother and feel all kinds of emotions towards a teeny tiny person. Although Sivaangi was a 2K kid, she was very conservative in some of her thoughts. She had decided to breast feed her baby as long as she could. Both Ashwin and Sivaangi wanted to be hands on parents.  Although there were days when she was extremely exhausted, she thoroughly enjoyed this phase.

Ashwin left the nursery to let the mother and baby have their moment, to go set up their dinner. Since Sivaangi was nursing there were some food she could not eat but Ashwin had managed to make it special. After placing the content baby on the crib, she slowly turned on the baby monitor and stepped out of the room. She was touched by the effort Ashwin had taken. He walked up to her and held her hand for a slow dance. He pulled her closer to him and whispered, "Happy Anniversary my love". Sivaangi was overwhelmed. She was also going through post partum blues so she burst out crying. He pulled her ever closer and hugged her till she felt better. She looked up at him and said, "I love you manna" He smiled and said, "I love you too maa. Seri vaa vaa vandhu saapdu. Paapa ku feed panni en paapa ku pasikkume", he said, feeding her a spoon full of her favourite pasta. She closed her eyes and relished it "mmmmm....ethana naal aachu le" Just when she was about to take another bite, the baby monitor beeped. He held her hand and said, "Nee iru maa, naan paathukaren." While she relished her bowl of pasta, he quickly changed a dirty diaper and lulled the baby back to sleep.

Then he came back to her and sat beside her holding her arms, "Kutty maa, naan romba yosichu oru decision eduthirukken. Naan ippo unkitta solla poren but nee maruka koodadhu please." She looked up at him and said, "Ennadhu?" He cleared his throat and continued, "Indha past two years la nee evvalo busy artist ayirukku nu namakku theriyum. Ippo unakku vandirukara opportunity romba mukkiyamanadhu. ARR sir kaaga paadanum engardhu unnoda pala varsha dream. You even went up to his studio and sang a track and came back for a super duper hit song. I don't want you to miss out on this opportunity. I know that we had decided not to trouble our parents and we will always raise our kids by ourselves but amma thaan kozhandai kooda irukanum nu onnum rule illiye. I will take care of her. Nee po maa. Go sing for him. Unnaku ekkachakka offers varudhu. You are born to reach the stars. Don't worry about me maa. I am very, very satisfied. Namba  businesses super aa pogudhu, I have the most beautiful family that I dreamt of. Idhukku mela enakku enna venum? I will always be part of good movies."

Sivaangi did not say anything but hugged him tight but in her heart she was thanking God for giving her this man. He always told that she loved him without expectations but it was in fact he who loved her unconditionally and she was eternally grateful. Just then he said "Happy Anniversary" and added two more charms to her bracelet, a baby and a shooting star.

Brinda Subramanian