Loverranged marriage

(This is a fictional OS. Although I had received several DM's asking me to write something based on her Swiss trip to "a dream destination", the atrocities from both sides and many more clues to indicate that there is "something, something" going on for sure, I am going to digress and write an imaginary story. Hope you guys enjoy this. So here we go)

"Dei Ashwin, yen da ippidi paduthare? Indha paati poi serardhukulla peranukku kalyanam panni paaka asapadardhu oru kuthama da? Love marriage thaan pannippen nu othakallula ninne. Seri nu 4 varsham paathom. Adhellam unakku seri pattu varadhu. Oru ponnu kitta poi pesa kooda dheiriyam illai Idhula unakku love onnu thaan korachal." Ashwin looked up at his paati while relishing his fifth dosai. "Enna paati ippidi maanatha vaangarey. Enakku appidi enna vayasachu? Ippo kalyanathukku enna paati avasaram?"

Paati glared and him and walked up to smack him on his head. Although it did not hurt, Ashwin pretended as though it did and winced, "Aahhh.... Valikardhu paati." "Summa nadikkadha da. Vayasu aagaliya? Unga Appaku un vayasula rendu kozhandaigal porandhaachu. 33 vayasu aagardhu da. Innum rendu varsham aana unnoda mandaila la irukara mudiye kotteedum adukku aparam oru ponnu vara maata. Matrimonial list liye unna sekka maata theriyuma?" Ashwin rolled his eyes while his mother piggy backed on paati except with a few crocodile tears, "Dei yen da ippidi padutharey. Unga akka veli oorla kalyanam panni kuduthaachu. Nammathukku oru ponnu vara maatala nu yengarudhu un kannukku theriliya da. Enkooda indha varsham aavudhu namma grahma vilakku pujaiku vaa da. Andha Siva perumal oda aasirvadhathula nalladhu nadakattum."

Although Ashwin knew that his mother was overacting and being dramatic, he could never see tears in her eyes so he agreed to go with her. He had not visited his mom's village in over 10 years. His relatives were still there but, most of the time, they would visit Chennai so he never felt the need to go to Tanjavur. A week later Ashwin was in the train with his mom. Knowing her way too well, he said, "Idhu paaru Maa nee azhudhu drama pottadhu naala thaan naan kooda varen. Ange poi edhavudhu oru gramathu ponna kamichu unnoda velai aarambikkadhe seriya? Enakku Adhellam set e aagadhu." His mom frowned at him and muttered, "Amaam Ivan periya manmadhan. Gramathu la irukkara ponnu na elakkarama. Shiva perumala ivanoda thimiru adakkara madiri oru ponnu varanam" she prayed.

Although Ashwin complained about the village, it felt nice to breathe in the fresh air. Their ancestral house was large and inviting. The cross ventilation brought in fresh air. Ashwin walked up and hugged his mama. Mama had left his corporate job a few years back and had settled in their ancestral home doing agriculture. Two of his son's were abroad and daughter was studying in a nearby college. Raji ran towards Ashwin, "Ashwin anna eppidi irukke?" He smiled putting down his luggage to hug her, "Raji kutty, eppidi da irukke? College ellam eppidi pordhu?" Raji said, "Super anna. Athai eppidi irukkey? Seri bag ellam kudungo. Anna unakku maadi room set panni tharen. Nee poi kulichuttu vaa. Amma Suda Suda idli, chutney, sambar ellam panni vachirukka."

Ashwin thanked her. He was looking forward to the, much needed bath. By the time he showered, his things were already upstairs. He wore his veshti and was drying his hair when he heard a peculiar giggling voice outside. He took a peek to see who it was. He could only get the back view of a girl who was skipping inside her house after talking to his cousin. She was wearing a half saree, her hair was plaited and adorned with jasmine. Ashwin smiled to himself but was distracted by Raji's voice, "Ashwin anna seekiram vaa saapadlaam. Pakkathathu lerndhu Suda Suda sakkarapongal um vadaiyum kondu vandhirukka." Ashwin joined the rest of the family who were already discussing about the girl next door.

He heard mama mentioning to Ashwin's mom, "Saro, unakku Sivaangi ya theriyume. Romba talented. Sakshath Saraswathi devi ye bhoomi ku erangi vandha madiri. Avala kalyanam pannika poravan romba kuduthu vachirukkan." Saro immediately asked, "Avalukku paathundu irukkala?" Ashwin knew where this was going and glared at his mom. She rolled her eyes and nodded saying, "Amaam andha ponnukku oru nalla paiyana amayattum, paavam."

Raji wanted to show Ashwin around so after break fast they decided to walk around the village. That's when he heard it, the most beautiful voice, singing, "Gangadhara shankara karunakara..." Ashwin slowed down. Before he could say anything, Raji pointed towards the temple pond. There on the steps, she was sitting with a little basket of loose jasmine. She was making a string with it and was singing. Raji called out, "Sivaangi" and she looked up. Ashwin stopped right there. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever laid his eyes on.

She was wearing an orange saree with a green blouse. Her hair was parted in the middle and plaited neatly. She had the most mesmerizing eyes. Large beautiful, expressive eyes. She had applied kajal which accentuated it. A red bindi on the forehead lit up her face but what took Ashwin's breath away was her smile. Her smile came straight from her heart. He did not even realize that he had stopped moving until Raji pulled his arm, "Anna, idhu thaan Sivaangi. Iva thaan andha sakkarapongalum vadaiyum kondu vandha nammathukku. Sivaangi, romba nanna irundhudhu. Un kaiyala enna panninaalume pramaadhama thaan irukkum." Sivaangi giggled, "Pudichudha? Seri seri. Enna unga anna vaaya thorandhu pesamaataro?"

Ashwin cleared his throat and, as if coming out of a trance, mumbled, "Adhu vandhu, pongal, vadai, paatu." Sivaangi giggled and said, "Swami ku poda maalai korthirukken. Seekirama poi kuduthuttu varen" she waved and ran towards the temple while Ashwin's eyes followed her footsteps. Raji tapped Ashwin and asked, "Anna ennachu? Ippidi pei aranja madhiri nikkare?" Ashwin blushed and automatically took his hand behind the back of his head.

After that incident, Ashwin just could not get Sivaangi out of his mind. He couldn't help smiling at the thought of her. He did not know anything about her but she had taken over completely. It was like magic. He could not sleep. The next morning he was awakened by a beautiful voice singing the suprabadham. He peeked out the window and instantly smiled watching her draw the kolam. She stopped midway and quickly looked up, catching him red handed. She blinked at him and smiled. His face turned red. How can a girl who he met just a day ago, have such an impact on him?

Ashwin wanted to know more about her but he had to enquire casually. So when he was walking around the temple with Raji, he casually brought up the topic, "Raji unkitta kekkanum nu irundhen, vandhu, andha edhitha veetu ponnu, hmmm, ava peru kooda ennamo sonniye... haaan.... Sivaangi, ava padikkaraala, enna pannara?" Raji stopped right there. She placed both hands on her hips and glared at him. He looked away. He pulled him to sit at the temple corridor, "Anna, naan onnum kutty paapa kedayadhu. Enakku 20 vayasu college student. Indha sight adikkardhu, jollu vidardhu, naasukka kekkardhula ellam Ph.D vaangi vachirukken. Avala anniki kovil padila paathu nee asadu vazhiyum podhe theriyum nee edha nokki pore nu. So kettukko. Avalukku vayasu 24. B. Com mudichu Chennai la oru company la vela pakkara. Appidiye ange paatum kathu kudukkara. Avalukku mappillaiyum paathachu. Jaadagam super aa serndhirukkam. Mapillai ku ponna pidichudhuna adutha muhurthathuliye kalyanam aam."

Ashwin's face dropped, "Ennadhu kalyanam aa? Nejama vaa? Ava othundutaala? Avalukku mappillaiya pudichirukka?" He was so disturbed by the information that he did not notice Sivaangi standing right behind them. She tapped his back. He looked around. She handed an envelope to him, looked into his eyes and said, "Enakku mappillaiya romba pudichirukku. Avar oru seriyana kozhandai madhiri, nalla height aa irupaaru. Avaroda vaai jaasthi pesaadhu aana kangal ayiram vaarthai pesum. Idho neengale idha pirichu paarungo" and she ran away giggling. Ashwin's was having a panic attack. He tried to process her words and then slowly opened the envelope.

3 months later, Ashwin and Sivaangi were finally married. He held her close to him and said, "Sivaangi maa I love you." She giggled. "Yen maa sirikkarey?" She looked up at him and said, "Neenga seriyana cutie pie. First night la Avan Avan ennenna pannuvaan. Neenga enna na enna kateendu I love you sollarel but I like it." Ashwin joined her in chuckling but pulled her closer, never wanting to let go."

Brinda Subramanian