Kitchen tales

Disclaimer: This is just a fictional story, very clearly. Hope you like it!

Sivaangi's concert had just finished. Although she had had a great event, she was dead tired. She checked her phone and it was 2am. Just then her phone pinged and she smiled at the message that read, "Waiting at the entrance". She quickly grabbed her purse and waved a good bye to her co-singers and walked towards the entrance. He had the hazard lights on for her to recognize the car in the dark. She too quick steps towards the car and jumped in. He gave her a quick peck on her cheek and said, "Super aa pochaa maa program?" She sighed heavily and said, "Semma vibe Ashwineyy, as usual but I am dead tired now. Unga shoot eppidi pochu?" He carefully took the car out of the gate and looked both sides for traffic before putting pressure on the accelerator to move ahead. He then answered, "Super aa pochu maa. Inniki konjam heavy scene but one take la mudichutten. Pugazh kooda thaan so unakku theriyume Avan thaan thooki saapdu vaam nu  but he was really helpful so it was good. Adhu thaan nera inga vandhutten. Unna paathu 3 naal aachu vera. Idhukku mela thaanga maaten. Adhu thaan." She touched his cheek and he quickly kissed her hand.

She yawned loudly and he said, "Nee semma tired aa irukke. Appidiye seat a pinnadi saachuttu kanna moodikko. Namma 20 minutes later veetukku podalaam." He had barely finished his sentence when he heard her tiny snores. He was tired too but focused on the road. Traffic was smooth. As soon as the reached home, he parked the car and tried to wake her up. She was too exhausted to open her eyes so he gently picked her up and carried her inside and placed her on the bed. He knew that she always preferred to take her make up off and change to casual clothes but tonight wasn't one of those. He helped remove her shoes. He then went on to change. As he went to the kitchen to fill their water bottles, he noticed that the sink was still full with the previous day's dishes. "Lata akka varale pole inniki." He quickly checked his phone to find a voice message that Lata akka, their house help, had left saying she wasn't going to be able to get to work that day as her kid was sick. He sighed. He decided to take care of it in the morning.

Sivaangi slowly stretched. She opened on eye and noticed it was morning. She grabbed her phone that was next to her, to check the time. It was 11am. She gasped and sat up. Wow! She had slept like a baby. She quickly got up and changed, freshened up and went over to the kitchen to find her husband cooking. She smiled and leaned against the wall. The dishes were all done and the sambar he was making, smelt delicious. He hadn't noticed her as he was on a video call with their daughter. Sivaangi took a peek from behind him and Isha yelled, "Hi Amma. Good morning." Ashwin stretched his other arm to pull Sivu for a hug. She wrapped her arms around him and joined the conversation, "Appa vum ponnum enna pathi thaane vambu pesareenga?" Then she looked at Ashwin saying, "Sambar semma vaasanai. Enna ezhupeerkalaame." Ashwin answered, "Unna ezhupperndha nee semma tension ayiruppe. Nethakki Lata akka varale so sink full aa paathram irundhuchu. Nee tired aa irundhe so naan ella velaiyum mudichutten. Inga paatu brunch ku pongal and sambar um ready. Nee suda Suda saaptu eppidi irukku nu mattum sollu podhum" and kissed her on her forehead.

Isha commented saying, "Shabbbaaaa indha love birds arambichutaanga. Kalyanam aagi 21 varsham aachu Enakke 20 vayasu but unga love mattum maarave illai. Amma unakku onnu theriyuma? Inge yaaru samayal pannara paaru." She turned the phone camera over only to get a wave and a smile from their daughter's boyfriend, Max, "Hello AK and Siv, look I am an expert chef now. You daughter has taught me how to make rasam and I am loving it. See you guys in two weeks." Isha changed the view back to herself saying, "Ok Appa Amma Neenga poi brunch saapdunga. Naanga dinner saapdrom. Tata" and she waved flying kissed to her parents.

Sivaangi took a spoon full of the pongal and sambar that Ashwin fed her and dramatically said, "Vayasaanalum unga azhagum, cooking style um innum maarave illai Mr. Ashwinkumar" and they laughed.

Brinda Subramanian