Slut shaming hypocricy

Sivaangi had had an amazing day. Her reel with Harsha was received with a lot of love. It had reached million views within few hours. She also had the pre-release for her upcoming movie Naai sekar 2. As always, her fans had made her trend. She slept with a very happy and grateful heart.

She woke up late in the morning, almost afternoon. She wanted to share all about her dayto her mom so she chatted away and it was almost 4pm when she, innocently, opened her Twitter and was shocked by the slut shaming. She could not believe what she saw. All the drama was just because she had decided to wear a stylish blouse which revealed her back. Sivaangi was known to dress very modestly but she had worked her butt off to look the way she did. She was a 22 year old gorgeous looking young woman and wanted to look stylish for the day. People had trolled her and trashed her. She could not believe what she saw. Although, she had learnt to have a thick skin, she is human.

Her mom walked into her room to find her crying. Sivu was not a crier. Her mom yelled out to her dad and both went into Sivu's room. Sivaangi was crying uncontrollably. She handed her phone to her parents who were livid at what they saw. Her dad said, "Sivu idhukellam varutha padalaama? Naanum unga amma vum un outfit a avvalo rasichom. Yaaro chollarda kavala padadhe da. Ivalukku vera velai illai. Chumma aathula ukkandhu edhayavudhu pesardhu." But both of them knew she was heartbroken. Sivaangi just said, "Please leave me alone for sometime." They left her be and walked out of the room. They realized that their words had not pacified her.

It was almost 7pm and Sivaangi had not left her room . Her door was partially open and she was still lying in bed. She had not come out to eat anything and had not responded to her mom calling her either. Binni was starting to get worried so she called the only person who could do something about this.

Ashwin was just stepping out of a promotion interview when his phone rang. He frowned looking at the caller ID. Binni never called him unless it was something important so he quickly answered as he was walking towards his car. "Hello sollunga ma." Binni immediately said, "Ashwin konjam veedu varaikkum vara mudiyuma? Nee busy nu theriyum. Disturb panninadhukku sorry but idhu konjam mukkiyamana vishayam. Sivu romba upset aa irukka. Naanum ava Appa vum evvalavo solli paathom but innum bed a vittu ezhundhukaley." Ashwin immediately asked, "Enna aachu?" She replied, "twitter la ava hashtag paaru puriyum." He quickly looked at her hashtag and his eyes turned red in anger. He replied back to Binni, "Hmmm... naan udane kelambi varen" and he hung up. He started his car only to realize that his stomach was grumbling but he did not have the time to stop anywhere. He looked around his car and found a protein bar. He quickly opened and took quick bites of it.

The drive to her house was about 45 mins from where he was. He parked his car outside her house and was just about to ring the doorbell when Sivu's dad opened the door and nodded inviting him in. He too his shoes off and dad pointed towards Sivu's room. The door was slightly opened so he went and knocked at the door saying, "Kutty maa". The moment she heard his voice she jumped out of her bed and came running with tears running down her cheeks. She hugged him tightly continuing to whimper. He hugged her tightly and kissed the top of her head. He gently shushed her and walked her towards her bed still holding her tightly. He let her cry her heart out. Then sniffling she continued, "this is not fair Ashwineyyy. Guys work out panni biceps, abs nu flaunt pannina adhu hot adhu idhu nu solli avanga pannina effort a appreciate pannuvaanga. Adhuve oru ponnu konjam reveal pannina eppidi pesaraanga. Naane ippo thaan confidence build panni ippidi dress pannaren. I have worked really hard on myself and just wanted to wear a stylish blouse. Adhu thappa? I am not that 18 year old awkward kid anymore. I am sick and tired of people treating me like one. I am an adult. I am almost 23 and want to dress up like a woman. Why is there so much moral policing for a woman?"

Ashwin held her hands and said, "Ponna varsham enna troll pannina podhu enakku romba romba pudicha oru budhisaali ponnu enkitta oru vishayam sonna. Adhu enna na Aswineyyy you can never please everyone. Trolls will try to bring you down only because they are jealous of you because they can never be you. Andha ponnu nee thaan maa. People who love you will love you no matter what. Enakku Unna romba pudikkum yen theriyuma? Because you are you, ennoda darling Kutty maa. I love you with all my heart for who you are. Nee track suit pottu, make up illama, messy hair oda irundhalum sari, illai ippidi classy ya, stylish aa, hair and make up oda irundhaalum seri. We love you for you. Those people don't know you. Don't let them win. I know how hard you have worked out to look the way you do. I am extremely proud of you maa." She looked up into his eyes and said, "Thanks Ashwineyyy for being you. For always standing up for me and being there for me. Ippo better ayitten" she smiled and he kissed her forehead.

She hugged him and said, "Ashwineyyy saapteengala?" Just then he realized that his stomach was growling. He said, "Illa ma pasikidhu." She said, "Let these people rot in hell. Vaa namba poi pizza and ice cream saapadlaama? I need a cheat day. Naaliki Dinesh Anna prompt aa varuvaar" and she snuggled closer to him. He said, "seri vaa, let's go. Appidiye beach varaikkum poitu varalaam." She smiled, gave him a quick peck and looked at the track pants she was wearing, "change panittu varava?" He smiled and said, "yaarukaaga change panna porenu yosi. Unakaaga na ok enakaaga na" he sang terribly, "you are amazing just the way you are" and she giggled. His singing always made her giggle.

Brinda Subramanian