Sivaangi- an inspiration

Sivaangi - Yes, this weekend was all about her. This girl is a huge inspiration not only for young girls but also a 52 year old woman like me. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of her in Super Singer. I am not proud of my behavior but I will accept the fact that I barely gave her a chance and was too quick to judge. I, also, did not watch SS7 fully. I also did not know of CWC until mid way through season 2.

It was right in the middle of pandemic. I was stuck in a job which was toxic and was everything I hated but did not have a choice. I am not someone who gets depressed or dejected that easily. Even if I do, I bounce back. Life lessons have taught me that keep the faith inside you and there is always light on the other side of the tunnel but even I was having gloomy days when my nephew suggested this show for me to watch.

After a lot of thought, I decided to watch it and the first one I watched was the semi-finals. Then, of course, I went back and watched all the episodes. There was something about AK and SK that stayed in my heart and has continued until now but my biggest surprise element has been Sivaangi.

She is one of a kind. When one thinks that there isn't more for her to do, she surprises all with something new. She made best of every opportunity that came her way. First it was her role as a comali after a singing reality show. Who would have even thought? While rest of her peer were posting cover songs she decided to do something out of the box. Let's split both her journeys just for an insight.

She was a little lost in Season 1. With Rekha ma'am scolding her and almost slapping her, anyone else would have quit but she stayed with her smile. One would have thought that she will not return for the next season but she came back with more power.
She realized that an introvert like AK was lost and she could truly understand him because she had once been in such a situation. She stood there as his support system and not only helped him open up but introduced him to a second home. He still calls CWC "his show". She reached exponential heights by the end of the season but it never made her complacent. She came back for yet another season but was visibly lost but she did not give up. She tried different get ups and did comp.eve justice every time. By the end of that season, she realized that it was going to be a challenge to match up with the other comalis and bring something new to the table so she changed her strategy for Season 4 coming back as a cook.

No one expected the childlike, hyper girl to go much further. She was bombarded with negativity which could easily bring someone down. I am sure she felt like giving up a 1000 times but she kept working harder and bringing exquisite dishes to the table. Every time a contestant got eliminated, she was bombarded but she always came back stronger. She was never given special treatment. In fact, she was targeted and she took it in stride. When people thought that she could only cook vegetarian dishes, she proved then wrong. She could not even taste her non-vegetarian dish but she never gave up.

Now about her music, during her season, she was told that she lacked breath control. She was there because of nepotism. There are much more talented singer. She isn't versatile. Then she came out with some brilliant performances in COC. She continued to practice, sang with legends at several stages, gave solo shows in CBE and in Chennai and rocked the stage. Her first original NoNoNo was by media masons. Again people said the song was for kids and MM was hyping her etc. Till date that's the one with most views for MM. With VPN she proved that she can carry a melodic romantic song, all on her shoulders. That song definitely deserved a lot more love.

Today she has achieved huge success in both these areas. She is a, well deserved finalist in CWC4 and her Saregama original MV hit over 1M views in less than 24 hours. Our girl is flying high. Haters can only hate but our girl is showing us all that retaliation does not help with anything. It is up to you to work hard, stay consistent and show with results. We have watched her overcome her insecurities and keep moving upwards.

You think she does not have problems? She does not feel low, sad, upset? You think she does not face hurdles? She is a mere 23 year old young woman. What she faces on a day to day is something which we cannot even imagine. I don't know how many of us would have the courage to wake up the next morning but to get back up to face your challenges needs courage, hard work, determination and a strong support system.

So if you guys are having a bad day, it is ok to whine, compalain, wallow but just remember to get up and go forward because everything in your life is just an event . This too will pass. You only have a moment. It is up to you to decide what you want to do with it.

Brinda Subramanian