Chapter 9

Mikhael and Alisa were having breakfast together. As he read the newspaper, Alisa tried to talk to him.

"Are you busy today? Can you spare me sometime?"

"What do you want to do?"

"I just wanted us to spend some time together. I thought it'd be a good idea… for us to get to know each other…"

"Do we need to?"

Mikhael asked. Alisa felt her heart drop but the man looked really clueless so she swallowed the bitterness.

"Yes. We're a couple now and may as well love together forever. Isn't it better to get to know each other?"

Mikhael took a cup of tea next to his hand and took a sip.

"Let me be honest, Duchess. I don't think you can hold on for that long. Perhaps you may… if you didn't love me."

"..."

"Do you not want to be with someone who loves you?"

Alisa took a breath, looking at him in the face, she claimed firmly.

"Yes, I do. That is why I am trying."

Mikhael, who didn't really pay attention to what came from her mouth, lifted his body up.

"I have time right now. Are you finished?"

Alisa jumped. She didn't expect him to agree to her suggestion.
"Yes!"

They walked through the garden. In the fresh morning, all the flowers bloomed, shining their colours. As they walked silently, Alisa glanced at his hand from time to time. She wanted to hold it.

"Your grace…"

"What is it?" He turned his eyes to her.

"Can… can we hold hands?"

He lifted his hand to her, Alisa took the chance without hesitation. His hand was really big. Her cheeks flushed feeling the skin of his palm. They kept on walking but holding hands this time.

"Thank you."

"There's no need."

"What do your grace like?"

"I don't have a favourite."

"There is probably one thing that your grace will like the most."

Mikhael went silent. The sharp eyes dropped its barrier a little. Alisa noticed the change in his eyes.

"I will tell you later. Give me some time to think about it. Do you mind?"

"No. I'm gladly waiting." Alisa held his forearm.

"What about you? What do you like?"

"I like sunflowers, honey tea, yellow colour, summer and perfumes."

"That's quite normal. I expected something more."

Alisa chuckled at his remark. She thought for a few seconds before adding.

"There's one thing that I've liked from a long time ago and still do."

"What is it?"

"Please don't turn your back on me if I say it."

Mikhael nodded. He didn't look like he cared to know even though he asked her so.

"It's you. I've always liked you, Duke."

Mikhael stopped his movements. Their eyes met. She wasn't lying. Unwavering eyes said a lot about her claim. He stroked his own hair.

"Have we met each other?"