Chapter 16

"Bring that brat back." Commanded the old emperor.

"Father, I think Duke Elias-zo should be banned from this duty. Rowena is unhealthily obsessed with him." Second princess.

"So you can make him your knight?" The first princess mused.

Second princess glared at her big sister while the others chuckled.

"We can't just ban him from being her knight without a reason when Rowena isn't even married." Third Princess.

"The thing that can separate him from her is when the southern emperor makes her his official concubine." Fourth princess.

"This is getting dangerous. If he comes back during the time the Duke stays beside her, we don't know what's gonna happen." Second princess.

"He should've made her official before he left then. Leaving like that is like giving her a chance to get with Mikhael, is it not?" Fourth Princess.

"Stop talking nonsense. He left but his people are probably here among all of us. Do you think he's clueless? Be careful with your mouth and bring her back before they report it to him."

The emperor worded a warning to his daughters and left the meeting room. They went silent after that. After a while, the fourth Princess stated.

"Personally, I thought he's gonna choose you, oldest sister."
Everyone turned to her.
"Who knows he picked the brat."

"That was unexpected." Second princess.

"But it makes sense to me."
While everyone was clueless, the first Princess smirked.
"Have you forgotten something?"

All the Princesses looked at each other, with curiosity and surprise. A few minutes later, the second princess snapped her fingers.

"No way. Is it because of what happened before? It's been years. I doubt that stupid brat even remember it."

"Yeah, she probably has forgotten. After all, she made her whole life revolve around the Duke alone from the start."

"Isn't he amazing though? Putting up with her bullshits for years. I would've lost my shit if I were him. Hahaha." Third Princess.

"Didn't you know something about these two?"

The second princess asked her oldest sister. She was the firstborn so when they were still too young to notice everything, the first Princess had already matured. She probably knew something more than they did.

"Not much. One thing I knew is that he really does care about Rowena. Maybe it's because of guilt… maybe it's because he was sorry for her or maybe it's the leftover feeling from one's first love? I'm also dying to know why that man put up with her without a complaint." First princess.

"It makes sense to say there's something between them because Rowena followed Mikhael around since she was a child, no?" Second princess.

"It's hard to get anything out of gossip. Not just him that barely talks about himself, even his people are good at keeping their mouths shut too, they're professional at dodging questions. They will answer to people reasonably yet giving no information at the same time." Third princess.

"If there's really something hidden between them, the only one who knows about it is probably Rowena's nanny. But I'm too busy to invest more in their business." First princess.

~

"Duke."
Called for him, Alisa appeared in Mikhael's study.

The man who sat there with paperworks in his hand lifted his gaze.

"Why did you call me here?" She asked.

"I hope you won't interfere with my matter with the princess, Duchess."

"If you're going to say I crossed the line… yes I knew. But I won't apologize for it."

With an unwavering eyes, she looked at him. Mikhael sighed.

"I'm not marrying you because I want you to take care of me. Don't get yourself involved. You're gonna get hurt."

"I'm already hurt."

Their eyes met again. She held her skirt when she felt like it was about to tremble.

"She acts as she pleases but I can't.  She forbiddened you from kissing me. She always finds a way to ruin my little happiness and the little time you gave to me. Even on our marriage day, she found any ways possible to prevent you from spending the night with me. If she had rights over your body more than I do… I should have more of your time but not at all… I thought we're gonna be equal."

"..."

"I won't apologize to her. She tried to push me to my limit too. I'm not the only one acting out."

Mikhael put down his paperwork. Touching his forehead, taking time to think, Alisa could sense what was going to come out from his mouth so she affirmed first.

"Please don't tell me to stop liking you. I know that you don't see me as a woman and that you don't care if I like other men.. but I'm also a person with feelings.. you gave almost everything to the princess… I could at least have this much, the right to earn your affection. ‘Look for other men for your emotional desire’ coming from you, the man I want, is a bit too harsh. I don't want to hear that from you, Duke."