Chapter 37

Timeskip.

After a month of living the concubine's life, Rowena was sent back to the Western Empire in a poor state because she had tried to commit suicide.

The Western Empire's whole political system, especially the Emperor himself, was restless. Sending back the princess who was supposed to be the tie between two countries means that the war would happen. Even Mikhael got really busy with the urgent news. Every imperial knight and soldier went on a serious training just in case the country was being attacked by the South unannounced. Alisa was responsible for the work at home while Mikhael and the other former imperial knights had to train their soldiers.

Everybody tried to keep their cool but the situation was seriously too chaotic to stay calm knowing how powerful the Southern Empire's militarily and financially are. They were more than stable enough to flip the Western upside down. And this war that may happen anytime soon was everyone's biggest fear.

Even though nobody was yet to know what was the reason why the princess had been sent back, they assumed that she didn't do her job properly and provoked the emperor.

"You useless bitch!"

Slap.

Rowena's face turned red real quick. The moment the man's slap went on her pale face, blood left the corner of her lips.

"You ruined everything until the very end! Why don't you just die! Fuck. Now it's not only you who have to die but the whole country! You stupid useless brat!"

The four sisters stood there looking at their father throwing his hand on Rowena who sat quietly on the floor. They gazed at the woman in disgust. Rowena's neck was still wrapped in bandage as she had just stabbed it with a dagger in an attempt to kill herself but failed before getting sent back here. She looked poorly pale and sick.

"Throw her to the dungeon prison for 3 days!"

The woman who kept quiet all the way here and hadn't shed a tear being hit nonstop had her whole body shook. She turned to look at her own father who had abused her for her whole life, her blue pupils trembled but then she laughed in his face.

"Hahaha. You killed my mother by keeping her there and starved her to death. Now you want to kill me that way too? How cruel of a bastard you are."

Slap.

"What did you just call me, you fool?"

"I'm calling you a bastard! It serves you right! You'll get ruined in no time! This dirty imperial palace will turn into ash and you'll die miserably, you bastard! You should die the worst way possible for hurting my mother! You bastard!"

Slap.

Little bloodstains casted on the floor. He grabbed her blonde hair and threw the woman to the guards.

"Take her away!"

"Yes, your majesty!"

When they dragged Rowena away, her four sisters approached the moody dad.

"What should we do, father?" Second princess.

"What can we do?? Surrender and fight back, both ways are the path to suicide. Fuck."

"Just what happened in a month??" Fourth Princess.

"I should just kill that stupid bitch with her stupidly useless mother. She managed to ruin everything. Fuck!"

~

"Mikhael, are you okay?"

Alisa ran to the man who had just arrived home after 2 weeks at the training ground. He looked mortally worn out. The moment he reached their home, he dropped himself down on the couch tiredly.

"I'm okay. Is everything here alright?"

He responded without opening his eyes as Alisa caressed his cheeks.

"I can manage it."

"Should I send some professional soldiers to your parents? just in case something happens unexpectedly."

"They have their protection guards."

"Mm."

"Are you going to the front line if the war happens?"

Alisa asked anxiously. Which woman wouldn't be anxious when their beloved husband would put their lives on the line soon to protect the country with a powerful house enemy? Mikhael nodded slowly.

"All the imperial knights are first class trained soldiers, we will lead the army. I'm not going alone, all the princesses' knights would go alongside me."

"Khal…"

Alisa hugged him. She started crying silently. Mikhael had no word to comfort her because her expectations could probably happen. He and the other commanders would be the first to die with the soldiers they led if the Southern army had the upper hands. But the only person who he worried about was this woman right here. If the Southern won over, the nobles would fall along with the imperial family, what was she gonna face without him?

"I'm more worried about you." He hugged her tightly.

She may become a slave or worse, nothing less than that. His heart pounded heavily as Alisa felt the same about him going to war.

~

Sitting in the dark alone, Rowena's face and neck aches in pain. She hugged her knees. The dungeon prison is a pitch black and iced cold place. Anyone who had a weaker health than average could die easily.

This place was where her mother died… the most miserable death someone could ever face. She couldn't even see the light, the sorrowfully cold place and starvation killed her.

Rowena herself couldn't remember what her mother looked like. Her mother's portrait was thrown away by her half-sisters. She had some memory loss due to the too much amount of healing magic she had from a young age. She was constantly beaten and her father would have the magician come around to heal her so nobody would know how poorly he treated his daughter. Rowena barely remembered anything other than her memory with Mikhael and some with her mother and nanny.

The dark didn't scare her.
But the memory in this darkness did. Her body shook terribly as she was crying.

They didn't let her die yet they made her live in hell. Everyone left and turned their backs on her.

"Mother. I miss you so much."