Chapter 40

During the 3 days of departure.

"Are we all ready?"

Someone asked before the rest nodded. The same man looked around for a while and let out another question.

"Where's Mikhael?"

"He just left a moment ago."

°°°

The sound of horse's footsteps hitting the ground, there were two horses running in the deep forest, heading to where the fire's smoke was. As their horses kept running, another horse's footsteps came from the opposite direction. They both stopped their horses as the other party stopped theirs.

"Now that you're coming, I can assume you have come to agree to the deal?"

A similar cold voice left a mysterious man's mouth.

"Since the great nobles had fallen, the country has suffered a huge financial support. I found out that it has something to do with the royalties. There's so many sins the emperor had done to the noble families. One more thing, my wife is pregnant. I'd do anything to trade coming back home alive for her."

Henry smirked.

"So you're saying you decided to betray your own country because you wanted to live to see your pregnant wife?"

"A country with a dirty ruler won't last that long anyway. Sooner or later, it's going to fall. I didn't want to waste my men's lives for a country who would fall apart either way."

Mikhael gave his horse a light kick so it would step forward a little and continued.

"You reached out to us because you don't want to sacrifice your army's lives too, no? And to add, you probably understand how it feels to be wanting to come back to your pregnant wife alive, you're a father, too."

The smirk disappeared from the young emperor's face in an instant. His reaction made Mikhael realize that the man knew nothing.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh." Mikhael mused.

"I heard that you're really smart since you were young but look like you have no idea what you've done now."

"Don't beat around the bush."

"Just like my wife. The princess is pregnant."

"What?"

"To send a woman who bore your child back home right after she tried to stab herself, that's a bit insane, haha. Not to mention, I heard from my friend that the princess got beaten up and was locked in the dungeon for 3 days because she was responsible for you starting the war."

"What do you mean she got beaten up and locked in the dungeon?" 

It was Mikhael's turn to laugh this time. He sighed from how ridiculous the other man sounded.

"Do you even know anything?"

Henry gritted his teeth when Mikhael kept spouting sarcasm rather than the actual point.

"Address the point straight."

"Of course. She did get beaten up and locked in the dungeon. You don't find it strange that she didn't get along with her sisters? Or you were thinking that she was jealous of them? Is that it?"

"..."

"I didn't want to tell you this but the emperor wasn't a normal father to his children. He's the worst kind of animal. What do you think I came here for? One, to come back to my wife alive. Two, to kill the bastard who raped and ruined my mother."