Chapter 38

Another month had passed and the current situation was still chaotic.
The army was in preparation as the spies they sent to take a look at the other empire brought back the news confirming about the Southern's army. They were also in preparation to attack.

Rowena had been released from the dungeon to be prisoned in her own palace. She couldn't go anywhere other than the palace owned by her.

Alisa, on the other hand, was waiting for Mikhael to come back from his busy work. She touched her tummy, her face looked distressed. The doctor confirmed that she is pregnant but Mikhael was the least to know since he barely got time to come home. As she was lost in her struggle mind, two big hands hugged the little body with two souls from behind. Alisa turned around to see the warm figure's owner.

"Khal."

She hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek.

"I miss you a lot."

Said Mikhael as he sucked her glossy lips, his venomous large hand caressed her breasts. The long days of parting made the touch felt hotter than usual, it almost made Alisa forget about what she was waiting to tell him.

"Khal.. wait.."

She pushed his chest a little. The tensed up man raised one eyebrow.

"I have something important to tell you."

"What is it?" His lips caressed her forehead.

"When you weren't around for the past few days, I felt a little sick."

The man's body froze a little. He put his forehead on hers and asked worriedly.

"Was the work too much?" 

"No.. that's not it."

It was a simple thing yet her heart pounded so fast. Why now out of all time when the father would go on the battlefield very soon.

"... I'm.. I'm pregnant."

The man went silent. Alisa could feel his heart that started racing faster. She expected this reaction.

"Darling…" she held the stunned man's cheeks.
"Please come back to me and our baby… please?"

"I…"

The percentage of winning the south was merely 50%. They were likely to lose rather than win. Every single person on this land was aware of that. He couldn't say a word when he wasn't able to promise that he would come back alive. Alisa felt her heart throbbing. She knew he bore a heavy pressure on his shoulders. Worrying about her safety, preparing for the war day and night without a rest, finding a strategy to save the empire from falling… and now another soul that means so much to both of them crossed their existence.

"Darling, please don't worry so much about me."

She covered his lips with hers. The man who kept quiet for a while already hugged her waist and lifted her lightweight body up. He didn't know what to say. His mind became a mess.

"Mikhael."

She whispered on his lips, calling out for the mind that went away for a moment. His pupils shook terribly looking into her eyes. He was cornered by complicated thoughts.

"I'll always be waiting for you. Years or eternity… you're the only man I gave my heart to. It doesn't beat for anyone else but you… and our child too.. so…"

They kissed again.
Carried her in his arms, approached the bedroom they shared, he placed her gently on bed then caressed her tenderly in silence. He didn't utter a single word. Just kissing and caressing her from head to toe. However, Alisa was anxious. Accepting his touch, she kept asking him to promise but the man kept silent, in the end she ended up crying due to how worried she was.. about the upcoming future.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't promise but I'll try my best. Please don't cry."

He only opened his mouth when the wife was at her last straw. Crying emotionally in his arms.

When the new day came, he left for work again before the sun even rose. Alisa looked at the door with a light of pressure glazed in her eyes quietly.

It took another 4 months until the real war began. Alisa hugged Mikhael for the last time before he went away with his life on the line. Just like any other woman whose husband or lover was taking their leave to the battlefield, she was tearing up. More than 20 men from the highest class imperial knights along with Mikhael led the way with millions of troops behind them. The people stood on both sides of the road to salute their departure.

"Milady.. please don't cry too much. Everything will be okay."

A maid comforting the pregnant lady even though her words held no meaning. Every single one of them prepared for the worst even though there were so many talented strong knights, they wouldn't be able to hold on fighting with so many people. The country barely stood a chance.

Turned around to the imperial palace. The door was opened by someone as a present approached Rowena in hostility.

"You're satisfied now?? I'll kill you with that fucking child in your stomach the moment that bastard destroyed the army and come here!"

Rowena looked at her biology father who didn't treat her like one and looked away.

"That man doesn't care about it. I'm going to get killed with you and your lunatic daughters too so don't be concerned that you're going to hell alone. I will accompany you until the very end but I'll make sure to see your head fall to the ground first."

She gazed at him with her side eyes then finished her claim. 

"I can go to hell in peace by then."

"Fuck. You insane slug!"

The door hitting each other closed aggressively. Rowena's slenderly pale body held a larger stomach than Alisa's. She bore the child of the man who would raise his sword on her neck soon.

Rowena couldn't care less about everything. Let it burn down and let it vanish. She was just waiting for her last moment. Dying was far better than being alive.