Chapter 45

As she sat silently in her room, the empty gaze fixed outside the window, thinking so hard about something that she didn't even notice Henry had just arrived in the room.

"What are you thinking of?"

Her gaze fell on him as she turned her beautiful face around. After a while of looking into one another's eyes, the pretty lips finally opened.

"Give me 1 year."

His eyebrows curled up a little to her sudden suggestion. He was yet to know what it was for but his heart was already perplexed.

"What for?"

But the woman seemed serious about her statement.

"Let me go for 1 year."

Henry felt like his heart was taking out of his chest for a minute.

"What do you mean?"

"But first, please tell me why you resented me so much. There was a reason, no? That you wanted to trample me down any chance you got, your majesty."

She didn't seem wavered. It made him anxious. She looked like she would leave at any minute. He had to take a breath before stating his reason to solve her curiosity.

"You.. Do you remember that you drowned in the lake once?"

"Yes, I do."

Rowena scanned the tall figure from head to toe.

"Was it your majesty that saved me that time?"

Henry nodded. He was about to say something but her next line took him off guard.

"You should've let me die."

"What did you say…"

"Perhaps, I wouldn't be at this point of being miserable if death had taken me since that day."

"Rowena-"

"But thank you, your majesty. I barely remember anyone other than that man.."

At the thought of him, she felt her heart break.

"I won't remember anything if you don't tell me. Thank you for saving me. I'm being sincere."

The long legs took a step further.

"...Do you really not remember what you did that day?"

"What did I do?" She looked blank.

"You made a scene look like I was assaulting you…"

"..."

"My father is an abusive man. My mother was beaten up instead of me because of your action. She fell sick afterwards. I could never understand why you would have done that.. and you didn't change at all.. you were still the same girl who hurt people without acknowledging it. You treated people around you like they weren't human beings with feelings.. I hate you for that. I hate that side of you so much that I wanted to humble you down.. but in the very end… after everything I've done, I couldn't find myself rest assured. Even if I hate you so much, I want to be around you."

Cornered the small body in the space of his arms, he continued.

"I get mad just by looking at you and I get even more irated knowing that you only want that man. For the whole time, I never knew what I really wanted from you. I could throw you away but I didn't want to. I chose to keep you close to me while treating you badly."

"..."

"I felt like I was going to lose my mind when you stabbed your own neck because that man gave you up to me. I loathed you for being such a horrible person and I loathed the fact that your heart belonged to that guy even more. I hate it. I sent you back to the western in your worst state because I couldn't stand it. I also thought that your family would take care of you. I've never known how terrible your family's bond with one another was. I didn't know sending you back would get you beaten and locked up in the dungeon.. when he told me all of that, I felt so miserable. I sent back my pregnant wife to face the worst situation possible."

Henry kissed her forehead.

"After everything he said, that's only when I realised... despite spending each night with you with nothing other than grim words and physical contact, I yearned for you. The reason why I felt weird touching another concubine was because of you, Rowena. I felt my chest pounding uncomfortably letting another hand which wasn't yours running on my body. So don't leave me. I don't want your apology for what you've done anymore. I don't want to break you apart anymore. I'm sorry. I am really sorry. I just want to raise our daughter together so don't leave me."

"Your majesty-"

"I can't give you 1 year apart from me. You will never come back.. I know you."

At his last word, his lips traced on hers.

"They say you've never grown up once. You're still the child who knew nothing about her own actions. I can do that.. I can help you grow. I could protect and teach you about everything over again so grow on me. Open up to me and depend on me."

"..."

"Please?"

Rowena was silent the whole time. She didn't face his eye contact either. It took her a few minutes to finally start talking.

"Let me apologize to your mother. I really didn't remember what happened but I knew I would've done something like that.. since I was scared that my father would hit me. I want to apologize at least before leaving."

"Okay. Will you change your mind… about leaving? Would you like me to get my punishment too? For hurting you by sex back then…"

"No need. I don't care."

Because all she cared about was Mikhael.
She still does now but the hatred started to take over as time passed by.

~

Mikhael had bestowed to a new position. He became the new emperor's right hand now and his work also got loaded even more. As her husband was busy at the imperial palace with the emperor, Alisa was also busy taking care of the twins. The mother kissed the laughing babies with love spilled from her chest. She played with both of them waiting for their father to be arriving home.

Another hour passed by, the two little souls who physically identified one another had fallen deeply asleep along with the mother. The maids covered the blanket on the sleeping mother who had her two babies close to her in an adoring smile. The scenario of the three sleeping looked so adorable to them.

When the sun set, someone who we didn't even have to address walked in. He looked so tired but the picture in front of him boosted his energy inside his large body. Mikhael crawled on the bed as lightly as he possibly could, dropping his large body behind his wife, he then hugged her all smiling and closed his eyes next to the three of them.

"I'm home."