Chapter 39

For three days straight after the army's departure, nobody was able to sleep peacefully.
The imperial palace was guarded by the knights stricter than usual as the whole city became sorrowfully quiet. The western emperor who couldn't keep still turned around like thunder when the sound of door opening was heard. A man covered up from head to toe rushed in in a hurry.

"Your majesty…!"

"How is the army!?"

"Please hurry up, your majesty..! Please make a run for it right now…! the southern army has wiped out our front line.. They're coming for the capital now!"

"What??? For 3 days straight you bastards reported to me nothing and now you told me everyone has died??"

"Please run right now, your majesty!"

"Fuck!"

The emperor clenched his fist, turned his destination around, intended to take some money and jewelry with him but the sound coming from outside caught him off guard.

His eyes widened in shock as fire started to flame the imperial gates. Black smokes showed up, the smell of burning reached everyone's sense of smell from afar. The spy who rushed in to tell the emperor to run opened his mouth in shock just as the emperor himself.

"We're late now…"

Looking outside, as the fire was chewing everything down, we could see a few shadows running in the garden in the dark.

"Hurry up!"

"Hurry!"

It was all the princesses, except for Rowena. They covered their heads with scars to hide their identities, trying to break through the wall where the fire hadn't reached yet.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"...!"

Their hearts fell on the ground when the shining blades pointed at them.

~

"They're already here."

Mumbled Rowena to the burning scenario. A lot of people ran their horses through the gate with swords in hands. She was watching the tall and large wall falling in the form of turning into ash.

She felt nothing.
Death is nearing its distance to her, all she could think of was the death of her fucked up family.

"Did they already die?"

"Your highness… let's run, your highness!"

The maid ran in, grabbed her hand, proceeded to take her along but Rowena rejected in a soothing tone.

"Just go."

"Your highness…"

"Leave now before it's too late."

The maid took steps back in tears, she looked at Rowena for a while until she finally turned her back and ran. Rowena then gazed at the flame outside from her windows. Everything is falling.

~

"Fuck! Fuck!"

Watching the imperial palace being surrounded by the Southern's army, he gritted his teeth not knowing what to do. If he leaves now, he will die. If he stays here, he will die. Both ways resulted the same. The door that swung open made the two people in the room jump. Tall men with armors walked in, their gazes were as dead as hell.

The frozen emperor's foot stepped back unknowingly.

"Henry…"

"It's been a few months, your majesty."