44| business partner

I'm wiping the dark oil off of my hand when I hear little stumps from behind me

I'm wiping the dark oil off of my hand when I hear little stumps from behind me. "Sissy!" Maya exclaimed.

Turning around just in time to catch my little sister. Her big brown eyes stare into mine as she smiles a cheeky smile.

Luckily, she looks just like Mom and nothing like Matt.

I already know what Mom is going to say. "Her dress." My mother says as she removes Maya from my arms.

I laugh when I see the small oil stain that is now on Maya's pink dress.

Our relationship has gotten better. I was with her when she gave birth to Maya. I was with her when Matt tried to come back into her life.

I don't think our relationship will ever be the way a mother-daughter relationship should be, but it is close enough.

My mom was also the one to help me get the auto shop and runway started. It's still a work in progress.

We are still trying to find a company to partner with. "Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for that meeting?" Mom says as she lowers Maya.

I nod as I take my hair into my hand and put it into a ponytail. "There, I'm ready." I give her a smile, which causes my mom to roll her eyes.

"London, we have talked about this." She lets out a sigh and pinches the bridge of her nose.

We've both been worried about this partnership. We have been trying to get a company to partner with us for a couple of months, but each time I go in to meet with them, they change their mind.

Most of the time, it's because I am a 21-year-old woman trying to run my own business.

Sometimes I just feel like I want to quit, but mom always slaps me out of it. "London, you have to look professional for this meeting." She stresses and checks the time on her phone.

"You have an hour. "Go home and change, please." I nodded and gave Maya a forehead kiss before leaving.

Unlocking my car and getting in. Pulling out of the parking lot and driving through the busy streets of New York. Luckily, my apartment isn't far from where I work.

Once I got to my apartment, I went straight to my closet. I hate getting dressed for these types of things.

I don't even have the right clothes for a business meeting. Maybe I should have listened to my mom when she told me to get an outfit for today.

I should have listened to her.

You think?

I stare at my full closet, but I still can't find a single thing. I quickly check the time to see how much time I have. "Shit." I mumble to myself.

I only have about 30 minutes left before I have to be at the meeting.

If I'm late or miss this meeting, mom will literally kick my ass. I swear I have the worst luck.