62| wishes and ice cream

I squirmed around in my seat, my heart beating, and my mind fogged with so much emotion

I could barely concentrate on word that the judge was saying. I could hardly answer the questions he was asking me.

"Miss Fane, so you're telling me you have no idea who his man is?" The judge asked with his voice and held no emotion, yet I guess that is how most judges are.

My mouth is dry, and I repeat the words I have told the police and lawyer countless times.

"No, sir, he came into my shop once to ask about tires." I swallow. I look behind me, my eyes searching for the familiar hazel ones that I have fallen in love with.

Next to August sit my mother, Owen, and his boyfriend Seth. One row behind them were Hadley, Alyssa, and Sav.

Seth gives me a bright smile and holds up his thumbs, mouthing, "You're doing amazing." I turned, looking ahead, feeling just a tad bit better.

But I still wish August could be up here with me.

My lawyer raked through the papers on her desk next to me. The lawyer for Mr. Wad was doing his job, defending him.

I simply wonder if the man believed that Mr. Wad was insane or if he just didn't want to go to prison his whole life.

He was only in his early 30s. He had a whole life ahead of him. I felt sick to my stomach when I lifted my head.

Mr. Wad's eyes filled with tears as he looked at me. He was in an orange prison suit, and his hands were cuffed.

Why was he crying? He was the one who cut my brakes and tried to kill me. I was the one who had to live the rest of my life with nightmares.

I can barely even sit in the driver's seat without having a panic attack.

"I find Mr. Wad guilty."

Small things like a loud boom or the squeak of someones car tires can throw me into a panic attack.

Racing was what helped me escape reality, but now I have nothing.

I own a raceway for a reason. I'm supposed to teach kids how to race go-karts. That's my fucking job, and I can't even sit in the driver's seat without freaking out.

My eyes start to burn at the thought of never being able to do what I love. I worked so hard to get to where I am just for some guy to take it away because he's... insane.

"Life without the chance of parole." I let out a breath, the weight on my chest lifting; it was like I could finally breathe.