49| Truth

My eyes drift to the black bag that sits on the floor of my room, wondering what to do with it

My eyes drift to the black bag that sits on the floor of my room, wondering what to do with it. It's been a week since the race, and I still haven't gotten a text back from August.

I let out a deep sigh as I pushed myself off of my bed and walked to the closet to pick out some clothes for the day.

I had to ask if Octavia could take me to the auto shop because my car is there. I just wanted to get the tires changed, especially after the racing and a quick oil change. Nothing big.

Throwing on a simple black tee and some jeans. not wanting to ruin any of my good clothes if I end up working at the shop today.

I grabbed the duffle bag and threw it over my shoulder as I left my apartment to go meet Octavia outside.

Dropping the bag at my feet as I enter her small beat-down Honda, I instantly spotted a slight bruise on Octavia's cheek. "What happened?" I exclaimed, worry filling my voice.

"Nothing." She tries to shrug it off.

"Nothing?" She nods, not taking her eyes off the road. I glance down at my hands and think to myself. Octavia doesn't like talking much about her home life.

The only thing I know is that her mom passed away a couple years ago and that her dad isn't the best person.

I turn to her to get a better look at the bruise on her face. It has to be a few days old because it was a grayish green color.

"You know if you ever need somewhere to go, you can just give me a call." Octavia just gives me a tight-lipped smile.

"Thanks London I really appreciate it." I give her a smile before turning to look out the window. I watch as we pass all the city buildings and crowds of people.

Once we pulled into the parking lot of the auto shop, I noticed a white car that was already parked a few spots away from where Octavia parked.

A weird feeling bubbled in my gut at the sight of the white Toyota.

I grab the small black duffle bag from the floor of Octavia's car before pushing open the car door and getting out.

When I entered the auto shop, I was greeted by Maya. "Sissy!" She yelled, her little legs moving as fast as they could to get to me.

I kneel down as she runs into my arms. "I missed you." She chirped, a bright smile on her chunky cheeks.

Her dark hair was put up in pigtails with two green bows. I don't get to see Maya as much as I would like to, but when I do, I make the most of it.

I tighten my arms around her as I stand, bringing her with me. "Where's mom?" I asked as we made our way through the shop. Maya shrugged and began to play with my neatly braided hair.

I spotted my mother in my small office. Placing Maya on the floor, letting her run to her mother. "Hey mom." I drop the bag next to my desk. She raised her gaze to me with a tired smile on her lips.