Overthinker's Club

The warm summer day was off to a strange start. It seemed nothing wanted to go in the way in which would be for the favor of all. It had started out sunny, but that weather turned out to be short. Clouds covered the whole sky by 9 am and the day dimmed into a moodier one quickly. Nothing had felt right about the day anymore. Clearly, it was beginning to affect the people going about their lives beneath it.

The large brown front door had slammed none too gently, merely by accident. But it left its rumble through the house on the farm where some sheltered inside for the day, preparing for the showers to come. Truly, the rain was desperately needed as the humidity was getting bothersome by now, however mood changes and minor inconveniences were the consequence.

"What is the matter?" grumbled the grandmother to herself, drying her hands on a kitchen towel. "The entire house is bound to break with that slam." She was surprised by arms wrapping around her body before she could make a turn, and then there was a small face burying into her shoulder. She'd recognize that embrace anywhere.

"Tilda?"

"Hi," the grandchild mumbled through her shoulder.

"Oh, darling you're here. What a surprise," she beamed.

"I missed you guys so I came to visit."

"I hope you miss us always, I feared you forgot about us. City girl now, no time for us," she teased. Agnetha chuckled and turned around, then saw sadness in her eyes. "Ah," a frown came upon her face. "Hey. What happened?"

"Nothing happened, I am just feeling sensitive and emotional. And I want to spend the day here."

"Homesick?"

"Maybe."

"And maybe the weather's getting the worst of us," Agnetha added, another ounce of validation to the girl's feelings.

"That too," Tilda sighed. As she pulled apart, she waved her arm and spoke louder and more clearly. "And as if I didn't need anything more to worry about, I forgot a small bit of my window open, and water came in." Agnetha watched her eldest granddaughter turn around and point at the back of her blue jeans. "Look, my butt is soaked from sitting on the wet seat." Her grandmother in return only laughed at the small unfortunate event, and reassured her it was a great thing she still has clothes at home. That one is an easy solve. She'd offer her clothes if she had to.

"Go change and then come, we'll sit together."

"Where is mom?" she wondered, opening the fridge without much thought.

"She took Signe to the store." Agnetha watched her granddaughter worriedly. "Are you hungry? I can make you a sandwich."

"No. I don't know what I want." Agnetha stood observing quietly, watching Tilda close the fridge and leave, assuming she'd go and change. Whatever could have been the case? She knew when that girl wasn't feeling herself. There was a sense of it in her behavior. Whatever it was, she'd bring it out gently.

But she couldn't blame her for the sulking. She was feeling that way too. Not wanting to do anything. Not wanting to leave anywhere. Not even talk to anyone.

Björn had even left the house in a hurry that morning, she hadn't even seen him since and not even a text message, which reminded her that she should give him a call. Would he be around for dinner? What did they want to eat? Is he going to be home late? What did he have on the agenda? The tall woman sighed, shaking her head. Plenty thoughts found to be swarming around her mind that day.

Distraction, she called it out to be. She was awake for hours later than typical the night before. She couldn't sleep easily. Björn blamed it on ice cream before bed and she agreed, but for nothing more than to close the topic quickly. She knew it was the thoughts she kept to herself that were the issue. What had happened at Voyage? What did go wrong? What did the world know? Why couldn't they keep a peaceful, quiet life? Had someone really found something on them? What were people being told?