The Pair Annoyed

Reaching for the upper shelf inside the wide pantry was a stretch for the woman who stood tall in white ankle crop jeans. One hand was busy grabbing the older packaged boxes to check the expiration date, and the other occupied with holding a cellphone that was protected with a light pink case. The woman surrounded by her sudden energy for a pantry clean out was alarmed by the lack of space she had. So much had to go, she'd nearly forgotten half of it. Where did it all come from and where the hell would she begin? Her friend listened to the stress in her breaths she'd released, unintentionally, but it couldn't be helped. Linda was doing shopping this morning and Agnetha figured the best bet would be to clear out the pantry and make space for the new.

Her rant over the phone as she worked was nothing in relation to her newly added chore. She'd been unsettled for days on the matter and had found that each time she let it be and her issue disappeared, it would only come back again to tease back at her.

"What more can I do that I haven't done already? I know better than to let it overwhelm me but I can't even help it."'

"Agnetha, you've tried everything in the past and you know it never brings anything. Even should you directly face the media to tell them to stop writing, and it solves nothing. You did that once—"

"And they only added worse," she breathed into the phone, annoyedly. "What is this?" she said to herself, peeking into the box that had crackers she assumed at this point would be stale. Trash. She leaned back and put it behind her on the counter to toss out with the rest of the stuff she set out. "It's just stressful, Frid. It's exhausting seeing it." Her tone changed, mockingly, "'Björn Ulvaeus divorces his wife of 41 years after reuniting together in the studio with ex-wife Agnetha...' Really? Does it always have to be about us? Why can't they talk about what we wore, or how good we sing at 70!" Frida laughed in response, lightening the tension her friend felt.

"You know as much as me. The gossip is more juicy when it comes to an ex. A friend shows me similar articles coming from Holland from time to time. And each time it's a bit like, 'Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again'. Goodness, they really are rooting for you and you choose not to give it to them. How sad," she snickered.

"Those articles are growing like crazy, and the calls won't stop, you know. And what do I tell these people? 'No, no. Björn and I don't even see each other lately.' Well," she laughed. "At least that much is true."

"If there's a reason for Björn to know some space from you, it is that he is with his other true love— work."

"Took me an age to accept that," Agnetha chuckled. "And it will never change. Well, Frida, I am happy for him. Really. Now, I doubt I will go to see his musical. And it's terribly sad. I promised him."

"You can. Just adds more fuel into the fire."

"No. Even he suggested I just stay home if it's going to make matters worse for us. What are we thinking?" she laughed. "Dreaming. We got used to the whole silent thing. Suddenly we forgot how to manage it."

"Manage what?" Björn's voice came about.

"Speak of the devil," she snickered into the phone. "What are you doing back?" And subtly, he knew she was on the phone but someone they trusted to not shush him immediately.

"Went in for the morning half," he said, carrying in a brown bag with groceries he'd taken from his daughter from outside to bring in.

"And the afternoon half?" he was asked playfully. Björn smiled at her forwardness.

"Can't I stay in for the rest of the day?"

"Truly? You mean you won't go?"

"No, I did all that I needed to. The rest they'll take care of for the day." He observed her thoughtfully and the mess she made around her. "What's going on?" he tilted his head and also had remembered she was on the phone.