A Pair of Thieves

"Björn!" her holler to him was heard, twice already from where he stood. Both were in a kitchen, but each on a different level. She had overtaken the bottom floor, thinking to herself after her first cup of coffee that she wanted a head start on their dinner for the day. All of the kids in the house were occupied with something, the youngest ready to swim, Isabelle and Anna beside the four little ones, and the men... well, they took on a very, very ambitious duty. Making breakfast for everyone. "Bj—"

"Yes, mama?" Christian called. "Do you need anything?" Her son beat his father to responding, and he poked his head towards the brown wooden stairs where she leaned back to meet him, her voice less of a scream, yet raised to reach him.

"Yes! I—"

"What? I'm here," Björn called, passing his son on the way down the stairs.

"You didn't hear me? I must've bugged them calling, 'Björn, Björn, Björn,'" she asked him rhetorically, a low voice soft as the breeze. He chuckled deeply to hear that.

"Lucky no one hears you call for me when we—" She shot him a warning glance in an instant though her eyes expressed all the laughter she had about where he went with it.

"I need onions," Agnetha stated, changing the topic. "Do you have any up there?"

"I'll look."

He studied her working around the kitchen. Multiple ingredients laid out, a lot of them being prepared far enough for having just started. He didn't bother trying to talk her out of it, knowing she would insist on having it started so it would be less of a hassle later. They'd have it all ready for the guys to take over grilling and she could sit back and enjoy her day with the others.

He was back with uncut onions in no time and lingered around to see what else she would need. Björn informed her boys upstairs were finishing up breakfast and there were a lot of groceries she could use that they won't need anymore, let alone the entire kitchen that was wider and open for her to occupy in case she would prefer that one. She liked where she was at however. She had all her reasons to list why she did.

"Tomatoes," she told him. "Please."

"Okay." He almost left to grab them for her when he caught the tiny sparkle on the open shelf where the cups were stored above the sink. "Agnetha, you will lose that ring like that."

"What?" She looked over to him and then the flower shaped diamond ring. "No. It's in front of me, Björn. It's not going anywhere. I know where I put it."

"I am just saying, I wouldn't leave that there," he told her gently. "You'll lose it. You lose everything and never can remember where you place it."

"I know where I put my things, Björn," she sighed, continuing to cut the chicken breast into sections. "It won't go anywhere if no one touches it. I don't want to get all messy with it on. And plus, if I put it anywhere else than in front of me, then I will lose it. I always take it off when I'm cooking," she rambled. "Just... Björn, just go and get me tomatoes." He took a step away and she called him back. "Wait."

"What?"

"One other thing."

"What is it?" He stepped back towards her since she hadn't went on yet, thinking she was occupied with the food. She turned to him even with busy hands and then kissed him. Agnetha shooed him off while she smiled and he was out of her hair in no time.

The work she was doing in the kitchen saw a break at a good time. Agnetha wouldn't have thought to pause where she did if she wasn't called up to have breakfast with everyone now that it was all set and laid out. Agnetha was finished with vegetables skewers and then she covered the tray that carried the meat she seasoned. All of it would be ready the fire. She kept in mind that she had corn cobs to break into slices and season so they could be grilled too. Oh, and a big salad for a main side dish.