The Irreplaceables

The home in Ekerö had been quiet for most of the day, and it certainly felt that way to the lady who was wrapped in a world of her own little thoughts. Thoughts about nothing further than the way her hair looked, the way her clothes fit on her body, or what possible way she could style her clothes. Her head tilted as she peered in the mirror, fiddling with her pink top.

The peace she was in had been disrupted pleasantly with another body bursting into the room and bringing in an energy that changed the atmosphere, pulling her out of the focus she was in. That body belonged to her granddaughter who stood tall in a pair of Ugg slippers, entering in for a purpose of her own and lingering around becoming distracted with another. She had eyed her grandmother who was turning and shifting the clothes she put on as she looked at herself in the mirror. Ester had noted her grandmother's lovely top, her skinny black pants, ones which she had been adjusting the belt over when she caught the gaze of her granddaughter.

"What are you searching for?" Agnetha wondered casually, thinking she could help her if she knew what she needed.

"Nail polish remover," she replied, her eyes drawn in admiration to her grandma. There was a smile on her face that was placed with very little reason.

"On the counter in the bathroom," Agnetha redirected her. "How does it look?" She wondered, shifting things again. "Does it look fine?"

"More than fine. Are you kidding?" Ester said, walking into the bathroom and out of it. "You look expensive."

"Heh," her laugh pitched high. "I don't know what that means exactly but I hope it's a good thing." Ester had moved across from the bathroom to the vanity to sit at, choosing to sit at the stool and watch her grandmother prepare herself. She wondered what the occasion was. Even the jewelry box was out. Her eyes poked around to see what interesting items were stored in. A lot she had seen worn before. Some she had never seen.

"I want to know how much this box is worth," she laughed. "How much did this cost?" Ester wondered playfully, lifting a golden necklace from the box, one that was delicate and small.

"I don't know," Agnetha hummed, slipping on long black boots and still in front of the long mirror. "Ask your grandfather," she laughed.

"This one?" Ester wondered, holding up another.

"Yeah. That one too." Brows were raised as the grandchild had put the necklace back into the box.

"Did he gift you all of these?"

"A lot of birthdays. Except that one. That was for an anniversary, I think." She smiled and thought to herself, today would be a great day to wear it.

"Ah," her granddaughter smiled. "So he gifts you jewelry. A lot of jewelry. What do you gift him?" Agnetha narrowed her eyes in honest thought. She chuckled.

"Me."

"Oh! Oh. Okay, now I get it a lot more than I needed to."

"Well, I did not exactly mean it that way, Ester." Now the woman blushed and laughed to herself, even having not meant it, well... she didn't lie.

Agnetha had checked cellphone for the third time. At least now she knew what she would wear, she had enough time to settle back into comfortable clothes for another few hours.  She had high expectations for the night considering it was planned out to be something meaningful, something exciting and beautiful. Although the years passing by turned July 6th into just another day, to the couple it was still a date they personally celebrated between one another. They no longer made a big deal of the anniversary of their wedding, but they did like to remember it in subtle ways.

This year the sixth of July had been missed due to the events leading up to the Pippi premiere. It didn't sit well with Björn that it would be missed or forgotten. Just because it did not coincide with their schedule this time did not mean that he'd let it pass them by. He'd been busy on numerous things, as he usually is, and for that he felt more guilty. He promised her a special evening, that perhaps they would share a date together, that they may dine and enjoy a quiet evening, focusing on just one another. His two day trip to Denmark was meant to end that evening when he'd return home, but now as the woman tapped her phone with freshly painted fingernails, her excitement stilled like the movement in the room.