Sick (Eric Coulter)

TW: Fighting and mentions blood

My head was pounding as I made my way through the pit filled with running and shouting Dauntless. I felt shaky and nauseous, but I wasn't about to miss a day of work and give Eric the satisfaction of knowing I was sick and stayed in. I entered the training room to see Four was there setting stuff up, which meant Eric was getting the initiates. I shrugged my jacket off and immediately shivered. I groaned to myself as I tossed it aside and joined Four in tugging the mats across the floor. They felt heavier than usual and Four seemed to notice I was struggling because he asked "Are you alright?" I glared at him and said "I am perfectly fine." He gave me a dubious look but continued what he was doing. A few minutes later Eric walked in with some pissed off looking initiates. I quickly set them to the usual laps, running as fast as they could until someone threw up. I stood off to the side and watched as Four joined them, running alongside them and shouting at them to keep moving. Eventually we stopped and started preparing for the matches. I was going through a list of possible pairs when I heard something that made my blood boil.

"You see that woman over there." A tall dude with dark hair said to his shorter friend. The short friend tried and failed to look conspicuously at me before nodding his head. "She makes all of our training hard, but never actually does it herself. Probably because she's just a little girl, like have you seen how small she is!" He opened his mouth to say something else, but I quickly cut him off. "You! Get your ass into the ring." The kid grinned like he was about to show me up and sauntered over to the ring. I walked over to meet him in the middle and felt Four giving me an uneasy look. Sure, I didn't think this was a good idea in my state, but I couldn't let the kid say stuff like that.

Eric walked to the edge of the ring, arms folded across his chest, and I was given more of an incentive to win. "This ends when one of you can't get up." He said, a smirk pulling at his lip piercings. I looked over at the dude before and then back to Eric as he said "Begin." The kid immediately lunged for me, but I immediately ducked under his arm and kicked him in the back of the knee, which brought him down in his unsteady state. I began kicking his ribs and stomach with all of my force, which only got a few grunts out of him. He somehow flipped himself up and landed a punch to the right side of my face, which was a move I know I had not taught him. I stepped back a bit as the pounding in my head began to hurt even more. I glared at him and advanced, landing several good punches to his head. He raised his hands in self defense, which I quickly took and pinned behind him, bringing him to his knees. I slammed his head forcefully into the mat and repeated that action a few more times, noticing the pool of red growing on the mat which each go. Finally I released him and he lay there, breathing heavily and refusing to move. I got down to his level and said "This should show you to never underestimate anything." I continued glaring at him as Eric barked orders for someone to come get the kid and take him to the infirmary while everyone else was to go practice sparring. 

At this point I was way too hot, there was an unbearable pain searing through my head, and I felt like I was going to throw up any second now. I looked up to see two Fours walking towards me. I closed my eyes for a second and then opened them to now see only one Four. "Y/n, I know you're sick. Go home." I growled at him as he tried to help me up. "I'm not sick and I'm not going home, so let me be." I said as I stocked off. I didn't notice Eric behind me as I got to the far wall and grabbed a water bottle. As I took a sip, I noticed him in my peripheral vision and sighed. "What do you want Eric? To mock me and say that you could've gotten that kid down faster than I did? Because I really don't want to listen to you right now." I snapped. I turned to face him and saw an unfamiliar look in his eyes. Concern. "Are you okay, Y/n?""As I have just told Four several times, I am perfectly fine." I all but shouted. I looked over at the group of initiates on the other side of the huge room being guided by Four. I made to walk over to them because that was my job, but Eric stopped me. "Y/n, I know you're not okay. You don't look good.""Gee, thanks Eric." I spat out. "Not like that. I mean you're pale as hell and you are visibly shaking." I glared up at him before sighing in defeat.

"Fine. No, I am not okay. I'm sick. My head feels like it is going to split in half, I feel like I'm going to catch pneumonia, and if the room doesn't stop spinning I'm going to fucking throw up." Eric reached his hand up and rested it against the side of my face, the side I got punched and where I could feel a bruise already forming. I leaned my head into his hand and relished the feeling of his touch. "Christ Y/n, you don't have to be so tough all the time.""I could say the same of you!" I shot back. He chuckled and absentmindedly ran his thumb gently along the bruise. "You're coming with me and we're going to your place." I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off by saying "end of discussion." I sighed as he wrapped his arm around me and I leaned into him. It was then that my knees decided to buckle, and if Eric wasn't there, I would've just collapsed. He supported me as we slowly made our way to my apartment. Thankfully there weren't Dauntless along the way that Eric chose to take.

When we got to my apartment, he flung the door open and carefully guided me inside before closing the door. He helped me into my bed, which felt so nice, and wrapped my blanket around me before sitting next to me. He ran his fingers through my hair and I gave him a quizzical look. "Why are you being this nice?""Because I hate to see you like this. And don't you mention this to anyone because I've got a reputation as a cold-hearted killer to maintain." I laughed at his comment and said "As long as you don't mention me in my weakened state because I've got a reputation, too, y'know." He smiled down at me and we shook on it. Eventually, I fell asleep from his soothing motions and he stayed by my side.