Beauty From Destruction (Loki Laufeyson)

Loki's POV

I sat there in the jet, my disinterested gaze falling on the panels on the walls. Captain Rogers and his band of imbeciles were talking closer to the cockpit, reviewing their plan for how they were going to capture this person they were after. I wasn't participating in their little chit-chat because I knew my part and didn't have to be reminded of it every five seconds. "Hey, reindeer games, you wanna get ready? We're almost there." I turned to glare at the insufferable tin man before I stood and joined the others at the door.

"I still don't know why I had to come." I grumbled. "Because this person we're dealing with seems to be having fun with her little magic tricks, and that's your specialty Mr. Magic Man." Stark said without turning back towards me, instead choosing to keep his eyes trained on the ground below flying past us. After a few more minutes, Steve began yelling at us to jump as we were over the jumping point. I simply drifted down to the ground, unlike the puny mortals who simply just fell. I was going to laugh, but it quickly died in my throat when I took in the surroundings.

It seemed like a desolate wasteland. Everything had been flattened and burned, and the few trees that were still somehow standing were extremely thin twigs of charcoal. Everyone seemed to be affected by this atmosphere because they all remained silent, even Stark and his quick remarks, and they took in their surroundings. After a moment, Steve cleared his throat and said "Alright, let's get moving." We began our trek through the woods, passing all manner of burned and destroyed things. I liked guessing what each thing was before it had been reduced to ash. I had to admit, whoever did this seemed pretty powerful and there was some beauty in what they had done. 

Eventually, we reached the crumbling remains of several stone buildings. The earth was scorched in a circle around the remains and we could sense this was where our person was. "Let's do a sweep of the area. Stay close and be careful." Steve called out. I slowly strode through the remains, eyeing the charcoaled remnants. "You getting a feel for this person?" Stark asked as he joined my side. "They're a force to be reckoned with, I'll admit." As soon as those words left my mouth, the ground opened up beneath me and I fell through, the last thing I saw was Stark's bewildered face.

I tumbled down, hitting the sides and anything else along it, before I hit the ground hard. A melodic laugh filled my ears as I picked myself up. "Really, I never thought I'd see the day when the great god of mischief was in awe of my work." I lifted my head to see where the voice came from and was met by the sight of a woman before me, hovering off the ground. Her eyes sparkled and a wicked grin graced her lips. In an effort to regain my composure, I said "Well it's not every day I see someone who's power could be somewhat close to my own." She laughed again and then began to circle me slowly as she levitated. "So this is who earth's protectors send when they can't handle someone." "I beg your pardon, I am their first choice. I am better than all of them combined!"  "Of course you are, Loki." She said as she landed in front of me. I reached to grab her, but she disappeared in the blink of an eye. She reappeared a few feet away, lazily lounging on a dangling tree root. 

"Now, now, Loki. I'm not that easy. I want to talk to you just a moment more." She practically purred from her perch. I eyed her, feeling myself becoming captivated by her. She was different from most people I had met and had an air about her that drew me in. "Do you know why your little Avenger friends are after me?" I shook my head because I honestly didn't know, they had only mentioned she did magic. "It's because they don't understand the beauty in the things I do and how I haven't really done anything wrong, they just like to be in control of everything." She said, suddenly appearing inches from my face. I stumbled back, startled, and she smiled to herself. "But I'm sure you already knew that." She said as her piercing and inquisitive eyes stared into my very soul.

I shrugged nonchalantly as I knew she was right. Insufferable Stark liked to be in control of everything along with his bumbling band of imbeciles, claiming to protect the world. She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment before she said "I quite like you. I wish we could talk more, but it seems like our time is up." In that instant, a hole broke open in the ceiling with Stark, Steve, and everyone else jumping through, ready to fight. A simple snap of her fingers produced a ring of fire around her feet that began to spread, licking at and destroying everything it touched. Stark tried to put it out, but his attempt seemed to make the fire angrier. Her eyes found mine and she said "One more thing, Loki. As acquaintances, it is only fair you know my name. You may call me Y/n, and I hope to see you soon." With those parting words, she disappeared and the fire raged.

"We have to get out of here!" Natasha shouted. We all scrambled out of the hole, and once we were at the surface, we felt the ground begin to shake and then break off. We ran as Stark was shouting stuff into his communicator. A minute later, the helicopter came down and we threw ourselves in and took off just before the ground beneath us crumbled away. Later that night, the news called it one of the worst earthquakes ever and said that it might have opened a natural gas deposit because of all the burning. As I watched the footage of the giant crater that extended for miles, I couldn't help but smile at the thought of Y/n and wondered when I would have the pleasure of seeing her again.

I really liked writing this, so let me know if you would want a part 2 and if you have any suggestions (for part 2 or oneshots in general)