Sacrifice (Four)

TW: death and blood

I stayed behind Four as we rounded the corner and were greeted by the sight of several important looking Candor men. Four mumbled an apology to them as he hurried us past them and farther down the hallway before leading me into an empty room. He shut and locked the door behind him and turned to face me with his arms crossed against his chest. I stood there and stared back at him silently. After a few minutes, he finally asked "Y/n, what were you doing talking to Peter?" I sighed tiredly and rubbed my face. "I was getting information from him.""What kind of information?" I hesitated for a second and then began to choose my words carefully. "Peter has gotten pretty close to Eric over the past few weeks and I managed to pin him in the alleyway you saw us is. He told me Erudite was planning on doing an attack on Candor, but doesn't know when. He said they'll be searching for Divergents and won't hurt anyone." Four's jaw clenched as he thought through what I had just said. I could practically see the gears turning in his head on whether or not to believe any part of this. Finally he asked, "Do you believe him?""Partially," I admitted. "I believe that Erudite is going to attack us." Four nodded and finally drew his piercing gaze from my face. He opened the door behind him before stepping away from it, allowing me to leave and head towards the elevators. As the metal doors shut I thought about what we could do to prepare Candor for the attack.

I didn't have much time to think.

I heard a loud scream that seemed to fill the building. I hit the stop button and practically launched myself out of the elevator. There were people running in every direction, trying to get to safety as the huge glass windows in the lobby shattered. Then a round of gunfire pierced the air and I ducked behind a pillar, the deafening roar masking the sound of bodies hitting the ground. After a few minutes it got quiet. I could hear distant shouting from the upper floors, but nothing nearby my hiding spot. I peeked around the pillar to make sure before I crept out and took in my surroundings. There were people lying on the floor that was covered by glass shards. I knelt by the person closest to me and noticed a silver disc lodged into their shoulder with a what seemed to be blue dye seeping into the skin around it. I examined a few other people around and they all had the same thing. At least they were alive.

I grabbed my gun from my concealed holster and made my way to the stairs. As I went up, I would stop and listen for any voices and I would do a quick clearance of the floor. At the fifth floor I heard several voices, though somewhat distant. I inched along, keeping my back to the wall and trying to stay as quiet as possible. I stopped when I was in earshot of the conversation and I immediately recognized three of the voices, which belonged to Four, Eric, and Peter. "Well look at what we have here. A few Divergents." I heard a whimper, but it sounded like a little girl's, so I figured there were other hostages. My theory was confirmed a second later when I peeked around the corner and saw Four and a few other people kneeling on the ground with their hands behind their backs. Eric, Peter, and two other Erudite guards stood there, their weapons trained on the hostages. The other people looked absolutely scared, but Four kept a neutral face as he glared defiantly at Eric. "Peter, tell me, what do we do with Divergents?" Peter pretended to think for a second before saying "We kill them.""Indeed we do," Eric replied. He paced before his hostages, his movements almost casual and he seemed to be getting joy from their fear. "I believe we can start with this one." Eric said as he aimed his gun at Four's head.

"Do it and you'll be going first." I said as I stepped away from the wall and pointed my own weapon at Eric's head. He didn't seem surprised at all, just slowly turned to look at me with his gun still pointed to Four's head. He gave me a pleasant smile and said "Ah, Y/n, I was wondering how long it would take you to show up." My gaze flicked over to Peter for a second to glare at him. Little bastard knew exactly when they were doing this. "Put your weapon down Eric, or I will shoot you." One of the other guards laughed and I merely flicked my wrist and pulled the trigger before he crumpled to the ground. Peter's face became more head set but Eric remained calm and smiling. I could distantly hear footsteps on the stairs and Eric said, "I think this is the best time to say goodbye." I heard the barrel click as the door to the stairs flew open and Candor guards came running threw the door. I grabbed Eric's gun just as he turned and fired it. I wrenched it from his grasp and threw it aside before he was grabbed from behind and held down. Then suddenly the room was falling and Four's face appeared in my view. I blinked and the lights in the ceiling were shining directly in my eyes and they seemed to pulse. I felt someone touching me, so I looked down to see Four's hand applying pressure to my stomach and a red liquid seeping around it. And it hit me. "Oh look at that, I've been shot. Hah!" Four gave me an unamused look as he tried to stem the bleeding. He began to yell at the others, but they didn't know what to do. He cursed under his breath before he hauled me up and began to run with me in his arms. We went to the hospital room, people staring in horror as they seemed to pass in a blur. I was leaving a trail of dripping blood as we went and more and more seemed to be flowing out, despite Four's efforts.

We burst through the doors and were quickly shown where I was to be placed. I felt cold and I could see the color in my skin had practically left. There were doctors all around me trying to help, but I had already lost so much blood. Four was getting angrier by the minute and kept shouting "What's the problem? Why can't you stop it and save her?!" I weakly raised my hand to grab his and he stopped for a moment to look down at me. His eyes were filled with fear, stress, anguish, and sadness. He knelt by my side and used his free hand to run through my hair. The room had suddenly become empty and now it was just the two of us. "Y/n, please don't leave me." I smiled sadly up at him and said "I love you." He gave me a pained expression as he replied "I love you, too." The edges of my vision began to turn dark, and soon everything was dark as I was claimed by the cold hand of death.