Scuba (Jake Webber)

I was tying off my air tank on the ship when I saw the three guys approaching. Sam and Colby had come to our dive shop a few days ago to get certified and their friend Jake had decided to tag along for 'moral support.' I honestly didn't mind as I found myself warming up to him and thought he was pretty funny. Sam and Jake were cracking jokes the whole way down the dock while Colby looked slightly stressed, though I couldn't blame him. Even though I was confident in my abilities from doing this for several years, I still sometimes felt a dull sense of panic. But I was fine, and Colby would be, too, because he would be partnered with Keline.

Once the three guys were on the boat, we casted off and were soon skipping over the waves. Keline did a run down of what we were going to do with the two guys and I sat next to Jake. We talked for a little while before the captain announced we were close to the site. I already had my wetsuit on halfway, so I focused on putting my gear together. I heard Jake laugh behind me, so I turned to see that Sam had fallen over trying to get his leg through the wetsuit. It was one of the funniest things ever.

Keline and I then checked their gear set up. "Sam! You forgot to turn your air on!" I called out. Sam froze and Jake beside him said, "Oh boy, that would not have been good.""No shit!" Sam exclaimed and I couldn't help but smile. "This is why we check things like this.""I can't even begin to imagine what would've happened otherwise." Sam said, his face slightly draining of color. "Nah, you would've been fine. We always triple check these things." Keline said as they clapped Sam on the back. Once everything had been put together, Keline was the first one into the water. I helped haul Sam up from his seat, slowly walk him to the edge, watched his stride off the edge, then I went back and did the same to Colby. 

Finally it was my turn. I got the rest of my wetsuit on before I turned to Jake and asked, "Can you zip up my back? I usually have Keline help, but they're already in the water." Jake walked over and replied, "It'll be my pleasure," as he zipped up the back. I thanked him and then strapped on my gear before putting my flippers on. I shuffled to the edge of the boat, made sure my BCD was inflated, placed my hand over my goggles and regulator, then strode off the edge. I signaled to the captain that I was okay and then waved at Jake before swimming towards the others. Jake was probably going to find some game to play on his phone while we were gone.

When the four of us reached our descent point, we began our descent. The world around me was quickly silenced as my head went under the surface and I began the frequent process of equalizing my ears. We slowly made our way down the line until we had reached the bottom, which was at about 75 ft. Keline began leading the way and the rest of us followed. A few minutes in, I felt the familiar feeling of underlying panic, but I ignored it. We swam around for about half an hour before we decided to start heading back. It was great to see all the marine animals that live down here, but we only had so much air. We made it to the line and began our slow ascent, making sure to take a safety stop part way through. When we finally broke the surface, Keline and I made the guys go in front of us when getting back on the boat...just in case. Colby took his flippers off and passed them up to the captain before he climbed the ladder up, where the captain grabbed him by the top of his air tank. He walked Colby back to his seat, tied his tank off, and then went back for Sam. After Sam was Keline, and after Keline was me. 

I walked back to my seat and got myself out of my BCD before I could tie my tank off. I managed to get the top part of my wetsuit off before I felt myself beginning to cry. I hastily tried to wipe them away, but they just kept coming. My breaths started coming in short gasps and I couldn't see anything. I tried to focus on the cool metal railing beneath my hands, but it didn't work. Suddenly, I felt a warm, rough hand on my bare shoulder. I looked up and saw Jake beside me, a concerned look on his face. As soon as he saw my face, he immediately made me sit down and took one of my hands in his, his thumb rubbing over my knuckles. His other hand was gently rubbing my back as I leaned my head on his shoulder. He rested his chin on my head and said, "Shh, it's okay now. You did it, you got through it, and I'm proud of you. It's over now and what matters is that you're safely here with me."

We stayed like this for a few minutes, Jake muttering soothing words the whole time, before I felt myself calming down. I let out a final shaky breath and used my free hand to wipe my eyes. I glanced towards the other end of the boat and saw that Keline was watching me. They gave me a little thumbs up and I offered a small smile in return. "There we go." Jake said once he had noticed I was calming down. "And look at that," he continued, "We're here." I gave him a little laugh before I stood up to take my wetsuit the rest of the way off and pack it away. 

When we had docked, the guys were nice enough to carry the air tanks off the boat. Once those were off, I grabbed my bag of gear and made my way to the side of the boat. Jake was there and graciously held my hand as I got off. The two of us walked together to the main building next to the dock to rinse my gear off. While rinsing my gear off, Jake got a hold of the hose and began spraying me. I shrieked and tried to block the spray, but it didn't work. "Jake! Stop it!" He laughed but finally turned off the hose. I packed my stuff back up and Jake carried it for me to me car. I popped open the trunk, Jake unceremoniously tossed the bag in, and then we both sat on the edge. Sam and Colby were still near the main building with Keline, so I knew we had a few minutes to kill.

"Hey, I wanted to thank you for helping me earlier. I really appreciated it." I said as I nudged his arm. He smiled and took my hand in his own, giving it a squeeze. "I was happy to do it. I completely understand what you were going through.""I think I should keep you around every time I dive, because that's the fastest I've calmed down from that." Jake laughed slightly at my words and said, "Well, I've always wanted to be certified." I smiled at him before I allowed my head to drop against his shoulder, starting to feel tired after the long day. Jake held me closer to him and we enjoyed watching the waves until Sam and Colby were ready to go. Before he left, Jake pressed a lingering kiss to my knuckles and said he would see me soon before he hurried off, leaving me a blushing mess.