Family Dinner (Colby Brock)

Colby's POV:

I sat in the back of Sam's car, watching the scenery change as we drove. Sam was driving with one hand on the wheel, the other holding his girlfriend's hand as they talked about a video idea. Kat's family was having a get together, so of course the invitation had been extended to me and Sam. I had to admit I was excited because Kat's family always had good food. After a while, we had finally reached the house and parked near the growing mass of cars. The three of us walked up the front stairs and walked right on in, immediately being greeted by the smell of spices and several people shouting in Spanish. As we made our way to the kitchen, Kat called out, "Mama, estamos aquí." Mrs. Stuart's head appeared in the doorway and she smiled when she saw her daughter's face. "Oh, mija, you look so pretty.""Gracias, mama. Is that Y/n I hear?" Her mom nodded her head and Kat rushed into the kitchen with the us following behind. 

I entered the kitchen to see several women standing around the stove, most of them Latina, save one. She was hugging Kat tightly and looked up as Sam and I entered. She turned her attention back to Kat and asked, "¿Es ese tú novio?" Kat giggled and nodded before leading the girl over to the two of us. "Guys, this is my good friend Y/n. We've known each other since elementary school. Y/n, this is Sam and this is Colby." She said as she indicated each of us. "It's so nice to meet you two. Kat speaks very highly of both of you." Y/n said as she shook our hands happily. One of the other women shouted something at her, which made Y/n reply "claro" rather sarcastically before going back to what she was doing.

I tried to inconspicuously stare at y/n as Katrina and Sam talked to some other family members. I thought she was beautiful and loved the way her eyes lit up at a joke. Kat nudged my side after a minute and said, "Y'know, I'm pretty sure she's single." I couldn't help but laugh at this suggestion. "I'm serious. She's so amazing and kind, just give it a try and thank me later." I playfully rolled my eyes as Kat wandered off. Several of the women in the kitchen dispersed, which allowed me to actually hear myself think and hear y/n just as she laughed at something. The two women around her were dying of laughter as Y/n quickly picked a fresh tortilla up off the floor. She blew on it and then added it to the pile of tortillas on a plate, which drew an exclamation from the others. "Ah, ah, ah, regla de los cinco segundos." She said to them before catching my gaze and shaking her head laughingly.

She turned her attention back to the other tortillas on the stove and began flipping them with her fingers. I moved closer and said, "You're crazy for doing that." She laughed and looked up at me as she said "I don't really notice it anymore." I returned her smile and asked, "So how did you get wrapped up in all of this?""Well, they practically raised me and it's always so much fun around here.""I can absolutely agree with you on that." I replied. Y/n smiled at my comment before taking the last of the tortillas off the stove, putting them on the plate, and holding out towards me. "Do you mind taking these to la mesa in the back, por favor?" I nodded my head in agreement and headed towards the backyard, plate in hand.

Y/n's POV:

I leaned against the kitchen window for a moment, watching Colby walk across the yard, avoiding the multitude of kids running past. As he put the plate down, Sam clapped him on the back and said something, which made Colby smile. Before I could wonder what they were talking about, I was called back by Tía Nicole, who seemed to smirk with a knowing look on her face as she told me to add the seasoning to the meat. After several more minutes, the food was done and we carried it outside, calling for everyone to come eat the whole way down. Conveniently, Colby ended up sitting next to me. Most of the time was spent talking to him, laughing at his jokes, getting to know him, and occasionally his hand would brush mine in an attempt to reach something. I liked looking into his deep blue eyes, they were such a pretty color that suited him.

When dinner was done, he helped carry dishes inside, and when he went back out for more, the aunts pounced. "Oh he's so cute!" Tía Ashely started, lightly bumping me with her hip. "He couldn't keep his eyes off of you. You two would be so cute together." Tía Victoria chimed in as she appeared behind her sister. "You like him, I just know it! Mira! You're turning red!" Tía Nicole said excitedly as she set down the dishes she was carrying. She turned towards me and took my hands in hers as she said "I think he's a good choice. Un bueno hombre, y/n." I smiled at her words. My head turned towards the door as it opened and Colby stood there, looking slightly dazed. "Kat wanted me to tell everyone that dancing is going to start." He announced. I felt my face light up at his words and shared a look with Tía Nicole. "You go on down, we'll be there in a minute." She said. I grabbed Colby's arm and practically pulling him out the door as mi tías shouted, "Buenas suerte!" I was very excited as I hurried along because I loved to dance. I pulled Colby with me as people began to get into position. "What's going on?" Colby asked. "It's bachata. Don't worry, just follow my lead and you'll be fine." As the music started, I began to lead Colby through the quick pace, feeling butterflies in my stomach whenever he touched me. He took a bit to catch on, but when he did, he was pretty good.

We spent the rest of the night dancing and laughing, eventually stopping when it became late and people started heading home. I walked with Colby to Sam's car, Sam and Kat a little farther ahead. "Thank you for an amazing night." I said, a smile working its way onto my face. "Well thank you for teaching me so much." He replied, returning the smile. "We should hang out again sometime." He ventured on, which I agreed with and then suggested we exchange phone numbers. When we reached the car, I said goodbye to Sam and Kat, hugging my best friend tightly. Then I turned towards Colby, pressed a kiss to his cheek, and said "Buenas noches, Colby." He took my hand and lightly kissed my knuckles before replying "Buenas noches, y/n."