Chapter 6: A Demon's Confidence

Ochaco brought Izuku down from the tree and they walked back to the village together.

Although none of them said anything, it was a comfortable silence. But there was one thing she found strange, the entire walk back, he never let go of her hand. It's as if he did, she would burst into tears, so every so often, he'd gently stroke the back of her hand with his thumb.

She found it nice and blushed, still looking ahead. Even if she didn't believe in love at first sight, she felt Izuku had proven her wrong. When he rubbed his thumb on the back of her hand again, she gently squeezed his and she turned away.

He smiled at her and chuckled. "I didn't know Demons could be so open about their feelings." Ochaco nodded "we like to keep to ourselves, but we vent every once in a while." Izuku nodded and smiled "well, you can vent to me whenever you'd like." "And in turn, I can teach you about potions."

Izuku flashed her a soft smile "I'd like that." When he smiled like that at her, she felt her heart flutter. The way his eyes looked at her with such kindness, the way he ever so gently held her hand, how he spoke softly to her it was soothing. She quietly gasped and her tail and wings froze in place, her cheeks slowly turning red.

I'm not falling in love am I?

Before Izuku could ask her about her sudden change in mood, she turned away and covered her face with her wings.

Maybe I am...

Ochaco smiled at the thought. She's never had romantic feelings before and it was very new to her. But she would figure them out eventually, as for right now, she needs to focus on her little sister and keeping the village safe.

"You alright?" He finally asked her. She nodded and her wings and tail disappeared. "Yeah." Izuku blinked frantically and he looked at her up and down, clearly confused about her sudden loss of limbs. She chuckled "I know, I look more human now don't I?" "S-Sorry... It's just a little weird to see you without your wings and tail..."

Ochaco chuckled "it's alright. I just thought you'd be a little more comfortable if I looked like a human and not a Demon." Izuku shook his head "you didn't need to do that for me!" Ochaco smiled and tilted her head "well I did. Because I wanted to do something nice for you! And besides, I seem less-threatening now."

They continued to walk back to the village together. Ochaco had just now realized that Izuku was still holding her hand, but he wasn't the blushing and stuttering mess he was. Part of her wanted to speak out about it, but another part wanted her to keep quiet and keep holding his hand. 

She kept quiet.

--------

When they arrived back at the village, Ochaco decided to go pick up Eri because it was around lunch, and she needed to eat. Ochaco and Izuku stepped through the door of the inn and saw both Eri and Tsu sitting on the ground playing a small clapping game.

When Tsu heard the door hit the bell and jingle, she looked up and saw Izuku and Ochaco. "Back already?" Ochaco nodded "yeah, just needed to talk something out."

"So you go to the guy you just met and not your best friend. Yeah. Makes total sense." Tsu said, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

Eri looked at Ochaco "Ocha... Where are your wings and tail?" Eri asked, standing up and walking towards her sister and looking at her back. "They're gone..." Ochaco chuckled and let go of Izuku's hand and crouched down "don't worry, I can get them back. This is so Izuku doesn't feel threatened by me." 

"Why should he? You're the niiiiiiiiiicest Demon in the world!" Eri said, eyeing Izuku as if what she stated would be a lie in Izuku's eyes. "Anyways, it's almost dinner time so what do you want to eat Eri?"

Eri looked at Ochaco, then Tsu, then to Izuku and back to Ochaco. "I don't know... Maybe something new?" Izuku smiled "I can help with that. There's this dish from my hometown that my mother made me all the time. I can make it for you if you'd like."

Ochaco saw as Izuku knelt down and gave her sister a soft smile. Ochaco smiled. She sensed Izuku's drive to protect the people around him and it gave her some confidence. If anything were to happen to her, she would be able to confidently leave Eri in Izuku's care.

"Then why don't we head back to my house and we can try some of the dish Izuku's mom makes." Eri nodded and smiled widely "yeah!" She looked back to Tsu and jumped on her, wrapping her arms around her neck "bye bye Tsu!" Tsu chuckled and pat Eri's head, helping her onto the floor "bye bye Eri. Come visit me whenever you'd like." "M'kay!"

Eri went back to Ochaco and held her hand as they walked out the door. The Demon looked at her sister with a smile, she's never looked so happy before. She then looked at Izuku, even though he was right next to her, his gaze seemed so distant. Like he was thinking of something else. "You alright Izuku?"

The boy let out a small shriek of surprise before looking at her nervously "uh yeah yeah, I'm fine. Just lost in thought." Ochaco smiled "if you ever need anything, you can confide in me. You know that right?" He nodded "is there something you want to tell me?" She asked curiously. There was no malicious intent in her voice, but she did sound a little too curious.

Izuku kept walking, but he seemed frozen. His eyes wide and mouth slightly open. He suddenly shook his head, "n-no! Everything's alright. Thanks for worrying though." they suddenly arrived at her house and she opened the door, Eri running straight to the kitchen and sitting down at the table.

"I think she's hungry." Ochaco said with a chuckle. Izuku smiled "I'll get started then." Ochaco went to the couch and began to tidy up and fold blankets while Izuku headed to the kitchen. She heard him rummage around and take out some pots and pans, but then he stopped. "Do you guys have any onions? Everything else is here..."

 "We don't sorry... But there's a patch nearby if you need any." Ochaco corrected, walking to the window and pointing to where the patch was. Nodding, Izuku grabbed a basket and began to walk to the door, only for Ochaco to stop him. "Izuku, by the time you get there and back, it'll be dark and dangerous. I can't let you go out on your own." He smiled "I'll be fine. I've done it before back in my hometown."

"But this isn't your hometown, you could still get hurt. As your host and your friend I forbid it!" She said to him, crossing her arms and frowning. Slowly, that frown turned into a small smile as she gained an idea. "Why don't one of my Hellhounds accompany you?"