Round 13 Write: The Fridge Is Full, but My Heart Is Aching

—————The Story—————

Welcome to Round 13, everyone! Good job refilling your food supply for the time being. For now, we're going to keep the simple challenges going!

By now, there's obviously got to be some drama between some of your objects, right? Let's do something with that. Obviously, since I'm an object show host, I have to fit the stereotypical sadistic and uncaring object show host stereotype. And what better way to do that than to make a whole challenge based on your objects' feelings?

—————The Challenge—————

Today's challenge is extremely simple: as your object, vent about your feelings. That's it! Remember, your challenge responses are canonically your objects' journal entries, so keep that in mind.

—————The Rules—————

• You must write a story detailing your object's feelings.

• You can write about practically anything in your story (pulling tools out of your non-existent pockets, flying, using magic, etc.), including your fellow contestants. However, the general landscape of reality must not be shattered, bent, changed, etc. by the end of it.

• Stories are due by the 16th of January, two weeks from now.

• If all stories are submitted early, then I may start the Whack phase early as well.

• Any violation of these rules will result in automatically being up for elimination.

If you have any questions about the challenge, don't be afraid to ask me. If I feel like it's of general interest to the rest of the contestants, I'll add it here.

—————The Goal—————

This round's goal: SADDEST

This ought to be a good one. Saddest entry wins! The contestant with the highest rank will be immune from elimination.

—————The Prizes—————

✓ Rank 1: Immunity.
Everyone else: Up for elimination.

—————The Lesson—————

Oh, boy, this is a juicy topic. Let's talk about emotions, shall we?

First and foremost: DON'T BE FAKE. That is the unforgivable crime of writing stories in general, but especially of sad stories. There's a clear distinction between fake, fiction, and fantasy. Fiction simply hasn't happened yet but could happen, fantasy could happen in an alternate universe guided by your imagination, but fake could NEVER happen. Fiction and fantasy are just different realities, but fake can never be reality.

So how do you not be fake? Simple: either write what you know or write what someone else knows. Often, the most reliable way to be true when it comes to emotions in writing is to base it off yourself. Since you yourself are feeling the emotions, it naturally follows that those emotions, though not necessarily right, are real and thus relatable to some extent.

If you're writing about an emotion or a situation that you've never experienced before, then DO RESEARCH. Look it up. Chances are, if it's real, at least one other person out of the seven billion on this planet has experienced it. If it's not real, don't write about it.

Next, backstory. I don't think I have to even say this since many of you already have detailed backstories for your characters, but explaining their backstory could help clarify the emotional significance of some minor action, like slightly shrinking away or looking around a lot or something.

Finally, character development. We're 13 rounds into this competition, and (most of) your characters have canonically had lives before this camp. Write about how the experiences here have molded and shaped your character's psyche.

And one more note: I am somewhat terrible at making sad perspectives, so take my advice with a grain of salt and keep using Grammarly.

Also, Bleach Bottle, since you won the Advantage in the previous round, you'll need to DM me the names of the two contestants that you want to put up for elimination, as well as a third-choice back-up (in case one of your first two choices wins immunity).

Good luck, contestants! Ready, set, write!