chapter 11

(colton's pov)

sweat drips off my face as the hot tennessee summer sun beats down on my back. i wipe it off with my arm which just results in me getting dirt on my forehead. i reach behind me and grab my ninth water bottle of the day guzzling more than half of it.

working construction pays me decent but it didn't mean the work wasn't hard. rockford was a small town without a lot of people so the construction site i worked at was short staffed and often times i got stuck with the worst jobs because of everyone knowing how i need this job. my current project was to build a fence around the property which would be okay if it wasn't 14 acres and i had to do it by myself.

if i had help i could finish faster but then something else wouldn't get done and we were reaching our due date a lot quicker than we could build. blue collar jobs were difficult work so they pay us decent but sometimes the money wasn't worth it. i'd much rather be broke right now then continue to build this fence or deal with this heat.

i wipe my forehead again and grab the neck of my shirt and pull it over my head. i wipe my face with the shirt and stick it in my back pocket. i then pick back up the fence post driver and begin driving the next fence post into the ground. when the next post is in i take the wiring and begin attaching it to the post.

as i work i have tyler childers song lady may play through my airpods. this song reminded me of kingsley and when i first heard it a few weeks ago it instantly became my favorite song. when the song ends my phone dings and my airpods began to read me the text.

kingston: when you get back we're going to dinner

i grab my phone from my pocket and reply.

me: who's that include

kingston: cody, corbyn, eric, kingsley, layla, think finley, mason's not coming home

it has been a few days since mason punched me and after that night we haven't seen him. cody's the only one checking in on him because the other three are mad at him. i felt responsible but kingsley reminded me that he started it all and that it isn't my fault.

me: i'm gonna need time for a shower

kingston: that's fine we'll probably still be waiting on ley by the time you're ready

i nod to myself thinking about how long it takes her to get ready. it wouldn't help if layla is helping her get ready because it takes the duo twice as long when they're together. they love to get distracted by everything.

i put my phone back into my pocket and continue building this stupid fence. there was no way i could finish by the end of the week, i only have 7 acres done. i hit my head on the wiring for the fence multiple times just because of how stressed i was and then i continue with the fence: driving the post and then attaching the wiring. same old repetitive process over and over, all day long.

once i'm off work i get in my 180sx and head to kingston's. pulling up to his huge mansion of a house covered in dirt from work wasn't ideal. i knew what his brothers thought of me but i also knew how his sister felt for me and that made me feel better. i take off my dirty boots on the porch and then carry them up to my room. i strip of the clothing i had on and then hop in the shower.

i scrub all the dirt from my skin and the smell of sweat from my hair. after my twenty minutes shower i get out and blow dry the long mess of hair on my head before putting on some clothes. i throw on some black ripped jeans, a white t-shirt, and some black and white vans. it was simple but i didn't know where we were going and this fit most restaurants.

i leave the guest room i'm staying in and walk down the hall to kingston's room. i forget to knock and just barge in but he doesn't realize because he's on his game.