chapter 21

he stares at the guitar for a minute and i begin thinking he isn't gonna play anything, that he either couldn't handle me hearing the lyrics or that he wasn't ready for me to. when the doubts begin to fill my thoughts tho, he begins strumming the first notes.

"my biggest fear is that you fall out of love with me." he sings. "my biggest fear is you hate who you start to see, find somebody new and say we just weren't meant to be and our happy ever after ends with 'babe it's not you it's me.'"

"i turn a compliment into an argument, my insecurities are taking control. you look at someone for just a sec and i wonder if you're letting go." he looks away from me but continues to sing.

"cause my past still haunts my future, this broken heart of mine isn't damaged done by you but it still feels deep inside." he sings staring at the couch.

"that my biggest fear is that you fall out of love with me my biggest fear is you'll hate who you start to see, find somebody new and say that we just weren't meant to be and our happy ever after ends with 'babe it's not you it's me.'"

"my biggest fear is seeing you out with someone else while walking past you say 'hey hope you doing well' i know i'm sounding crazy cause you say you're in love with me but my hearts been broken so many times. it's the PTSD." he sings quietly and then stops strumming the guitar and stares at the couch.

"i-i can't play the rest." he finally looks back at me.

"colton...that was beautiful. why don't you produce music? that was incredible. you're so talented and, wow." i say smiling at him.

"i can't do that princess. that was terrifying playing just in front of you." he admits and i nod.

"i understand, but it was beautiful." i tell him and he slightly smiles.

"play me what you wrote." he insists handing me his guitar.

"no, i-it's not done. there's no way i can do that." i begin stuttering and shaking my head.

"hey calm down, it's me princess. i'd never judge you, just play the little you have. i can help you finish it." he offers but i shake my head again.

"the only little bit i have is in the middle of the song." i say and he nods.

"that's okay." he says and i nod looking down at the guitar.

"why do i get so nervous when i look into your eyes?" i sing quietly.

"butterflies can't stop me fallin for you. and darlin this is more than anything i felt before. you're everything that i want but i didn't think i'd find, someone who is worth the wait of all the years of my heartbreak but i know now i found the one i love." i sing and look away from him and at the floor.

"and i love the way you can never find the right things to say. and you can't sit still an hour in the day. i'm so in love, let's run away because us is enough." i sing and then look up at him.

he's smiling which makes me smile and i hand him back the guitar. he takes it and then stands up going to his desk. he grabs some paper and pens and clears off his coffee table. i move to sit next to him and he begins writing lyrics as i begin writing the part i already have.

"start with this." he says and passes me the paper. i read it and smile at him and grab the guitar.

"oh i'm obsessed with the way your head is layin on my chest, how you love the things i hate about myself that no one knows but with you i see hope again." i sing what i'm reading from the paper and once i'm done i grab a pen and continue from where he left off.

i resing what he wrote but now with what i have added.

"oh i'm a mess when i overthink the little things in my head. you seem to always help me catch my breath, but then i lose it again. when i look at you, that's the end." i sing and he nods.