chapter 28

(kingsley's pov)

i sigh and roll over in bed grabbing my phone that is making way too much noise. i see it's kingston calling me so i answer as i still try to wake up.

"hello?" i mumble.

"i thought we were going to breakfast." he says.

"oh shit." i say looking around the room. our clothes are everywhere and colton's still asleep next to me. "yeah we are. we'll meet you at the house so i can get ready."

"hurry up." he says and hangs up.

"colton." i say hitting his arm and getting out of bed. i begin putting clothes on, stealing one of his shirts in the process. "colton wake up." i shake him and he groans rolling over. "no get up."

"why?" he groans into the pillow.

"we're supposed to be going to breakfast with kingston." i remind him and he sighs sitting up. he had major bedhead but he looked adorable still half asleep. he gets up and goes into the closet and throws on some clothes while i brush my teeth and hair in the bathroom.

he then comes into the bathroom and gets ready as well before we quickly grab everything we need and head out the door. he leaves looking amazing while i look like crap. he's wearing black basketball shorts and a zip up jacket that is barely zipped so you can see his tattoos and chains underneath. he has on black socks and his normal converse but he's absolutely beautiful.

"we have to ride separately." i say sadly. he wraps his arms around me and kisses my head.

"i'll be right behind you. we can ride together to breakfast love." he says holding me.

"okay." i agree and he opens the door for me. i get in my car and he shuts the door behind me before going to his car.

the drive to my house turns into a race and we pull into my driveway a lot sooner than we should have considering the usually time it's meant to take us.

colton turns off his car and rushes to get out, to open my door. once he does i get out smiling and hug him laying my head on his chest.

"i love you." he mumbles and i look up at him. i lean forward and kiss him placing my hand on his bare chest.

"i love you." i say back. i then hear a vehicle pulling up the driveway and quickly let go of colton in case it's cody.

i see it's mason's truck and i'm slightly shocked he's back but honestly not really. i hate to admit it but i have missed him. he's my older brother and i will always care about him no matter how annoying he is.

"what the fuck." he says getting out of the truck. i nervously bite the inside of my lip not knowing how much he saw. i move in front of colton though because i know how mason is. he won't hurt me but he will hurt colt again. "does kingston know you're fucking our sister?"

"we're not fucking mason-"

"i just watched you kiss him!" he yells and i hear the front door open.

"mason?" i hear kingstons's voice say.

"oh you're gonna love this. your so called best friend is fucking kingsley." he announces.

"we're not fucking!" i say over him.

"nah shit mason." kingston says crossing his arms.

"you know? you don't care? you didn't fucking tell me!" he yells.

"of course i know but i'm dating layla." he shrugs. "it's not my place to tell you nor did you deserve to know. you left, you hit colton, you upset kingsley, and then you just left. you didn't handle it you just ran away from your problems."

"it's not that big of a deal." i say and mason's harsh eyes go to me.

"not a big deal? i don't want some fucking asshole hurting you!" he says glaring at colton.

"like you're any better. you acting like this and calling him that hurts me because i care about him!" i yell back.

"i'm not any better kingsley! i was the asshole hurting a girl! i hurt her so badly to the point she killed herself because of me!" my heart drops as i stare at him. his eyes are now filled with tears and i no longer see my way too protective older brother, instead i see him vulnerable with so much hidden pain in his eyes. "i never want a guy to put you through that pain where you think that's an opinion."

everyone remains silent as we stare at mason and he shakes his head. he turns away slowly walking back to his truck. i watch him reach his hand to his eyes and wipe them. before he can make it into his truck i run up to him and hug him. he freezes but slowly wraps his arms around me. mason and i never hug so this was different for both of us. his hugs are comforting though and he holds me tightly.

"why didn't you tell anyone?" i ask quietly.

"it wouldn't have changed anything. she took her life because of me and i have to deal with knowing that for the rest of my life." he says.

we slowly pull away from our hug and i look up at him. his eyes were red and he looked like he had been through hell.

"who was it?" i ask him softly.

"sierra maddenly." he whispers like saying her name is a secret. i didn't know her. she lived in the next town over and i had heard about her passing away but i never thought mason would have known her. i guess she was the girl he said he was sneaking out to go see around 10 years ago.

"i hurt her so bad kingsley. she sent me a note saying it wasn't my fault but i know it was. i lied, i left, i came back, i confused her, i didn't know what i wanted. i was sixteen and could drive and the world seemed so good that nothing mattered. i believed my actions had no consequences so i'd sneak out and see her and then tell her i didn't want anything serious. i lead her on and then left. i was the asshole destroying a good girl who only had pure intentions for me." he sniffles and wipes his eyes again. he's fighting so hard not to cry so i pull him back into a hug.

"i never want a guy to do that to you. you call me controlling, an asshole, a dick, over protective and i am. i know that but i love you. you're my sister and i will never let you be in a position that will set you up to be hurt." he says quietly.

"i love you mason. i would have understood a lot sooner if you had told me. i'm so sorry for being so difficult and making you out to be the bad guy when you were only protecting me. i'm so sorry you went through all this pain alone and felt the need to hide it. you were a kid though. a stupid teenager exploring the world and you didn't mean for that to happen. it's not your fault, you didn't kill her." i tell him but he shakes his head.

"you don't understand kingsley, she told me everything about herself. all the pain she had been through and i went and did the exact same thing to her. i was her breaking point and it's all my fault." he says but i shake my head.

"you were a kid mason. you had just turned sixteen and got your license when you began sneaking out. you were a stupid teenage boy that didn't know the harsh reality of this cruel world and that's not your fault." i tell him but i knew no matter how much i tell him that he'll never believe me. he's way too hard on himself and my words can't change years of self hatred he has.

he remains quiet just hugging me and i hold him back. i think he just needs comfort rather than talking but i had so much to say to him. i remained quiet for probably only a few minutes but it felt like forever before i finally began talking again.

"don't hate colton, he's amazing. i love him and he makes me so happy." i tell him.

"i don't hate him as much as it may seem. i don't like him no. i feel you deserve way better than him but i've also seen how he is with you. if he's who you want that's not my call to make but i will have no problem beating his ass if he hurts you." he says and i smile.

"wanna come to breakfast with us?" i ask and mason nods slightly.

"sure, i've missed y'all." he says and looks towards the house. kingston and colton must have gone inside or something because they were no longer out here as we headed inside.