chapter 19

a/n: this is just kingston's pov on the situation and some more background. you can skip if you'd like.

(kingston's pov)

colton and kingsley's confession didn't surprise me exactly. i'd picked up on things between them before and especially while we were in school. my first hint was probably when some people thought they were dating and i never heard colton deny it.

he let people believe it which was fine because it meant kingsley was left alone and i didn't have to worry about some douche bag trying to hurt her. little did i know three years later the douche bag to hurt her would be colton.

i've always known he's meant well and never would have purposely hurt her. it's so obvious how much he cares for her but when i first thought of the idea of them as a thing, yeah it pissed me off. i've seen the way he's treated girls in the passed and that has always pissed me off. multiple fights have happened because of how he's treated other people and i never wanted kingsley to be hurt by him.

the more i've watched how he is with her around though, it's made me realize how different she makes him. he doesn't plan on leaving like he did others. yes he's taking time right now for himself but i think he needs that in order to be good for her. he's trying to be better for someone and not be his usually "i don't give a fuck" self. kingsley's gonna help make him a better person and he needs that.

although i wish it wasn't exactly colton, i wouldn't wish for it to be anyone else. i'm so protective of her because the older we got the more guys stared at her. the more conversations i began to overhear in town about her. guys talked about her body, her clothes, her hair, how they wanted to fuck her and that wasn't something i ever wanted to hear. she's my littler sister not their fuck toy.

we were only twelve when these things started and instantly i told mason and cody. around this time corbyn was trying to figure out his sexuality and was never home so for a while he was unaware of what was happening. when i told them they were pissed too. at the time mason was twenty and cody was seventeen almost eighteen though so if an underage kid said anything they couldn't exactly do anything. that made things worse and i think is why they're so controlling now.

they weren't in school with us and didn't know the guys who were saying things so it was me protecting her and them trying to prevent it from happening all together. they began dictating her clothes and not liking her wearing skirts which now resulted in her hating them.

to make things worse when this began to happen our parents began going on their trips. it was only for a few days at a time back then but while they were gone mason and cody watched us. kingsley and i were almost thirteen though so we didn't need much watching. well kingsley didn't, colton and i began getting into trouble any time we could.

we began skipping school, stealing, smoking weed. i don't really know why we did it. he didn't care what his dad said or did and i just wanted attention from my parents i guess. i didn't mind them going on trips for business but it made me mad when they left just for a little vacation. i don't think they even realized that i didn't like it because when they'd come back everything was back to normal and i was fine.

none of us told them about the way i acted and i don't know if they even know today. they're never back long enough anymore for us to tell them. they're here for business or parties that we all have to attend and then they're gone right after the event is over. they're always here for our birthdays though and never miss important holidays so i guess i can't really complain about much. i just wish they were more present sometimes.

colton, on the other hand, was more present when my parents were away. he stayed with us when they would leave and when they'd come back he'd be here for the day listening to my mom gush about her trip and then at night he'd eventually go back home. we were beginning to start high school around this time and he never wanted to be home.

his dad's behavior towards him had began to get much worse and the drinking had gotten out of control. colton began not going home for days and was with us at all times. family pictures my mom wanted, colton's in them. family dinners my mom insisted we have at least once a week, colton's attending. business dinners we had to go to because of my dad's work, colton went to those too.

he only went home when his dad made him and even then he was still sneaking out his window to not be there. when he could finally drive that made him leaving even easier and didn't help that he's older than everyone who was in our grade.

colton's mom left when he was young so his dad had to raise him. his dad most of the time just ignored him so when it became time for school he was enrolled until he was 6. then he was held back because his dad hadn't taught him anything before school so he was 7 going into first grade which resulted in colton not graduating until he was nearly twenty. he was the only freshman to drive which meant kingsley and i always had a ride to school while most of the kids around us had to ride the bus or get their parents to take them.

people tried using colton for his license but he didn't like any of them. i think the only person to ever ride in his back seat has been kingsley. she's the only girl to have done a lot of things like drive his car, wear his clothes, give him hugs, make him laugh, touch him without sex being involved, make fun of him without an argument. the more i think about it, it's been so obvious how he's felt for so long. he's so different when it comes to anything about her.