chapter 15

"oww!" i yell and drop the hammer as i hold my finger. i feel arms wrap around my stomach and i'm picked up off the ladder and thrown to the bed as i squeal.

"i told you to let me do it." colt says climbing on top of me. he grabs my hand and kisses my finger before standing up and grabbing the hammer from the floor. he hammers the nail into the wall and hangs up his last car sign. he takes a step back from the wall and smiles. i smile from seeing him happy and get off the bed to look at it with him. he wraps both of his arms around me and leans his head onto my shoulder. "thank you so much for everything."

"always." i say turning around to look at him. i lean up and kiss him quickly and his smile widens.

his phone then begins to ring and he grabs it from the bed and answers it walking out of the room. i lay down in bed and go to tiktok while i wait for him to be done with his phone call.
———
i sigh and set my phone down next to me and look at colton. he looks away from his phone and at me. he smiles and kisses my head tightening his grip on me.

"what is it princess?" he asks.

"i wanna go for a walk." i say.

"it's almost midnight." he says but i shrug. "okay let's go."

he sits up and gets out of bed to go grab a shirt. once he has that on he throws on some slides as i put on crocs and put my phone in my hoodie pocket. we then leave his room and the apartment.

"isn't their a park a little up the road?" i ask but he shrugs wrapping his arm around me.

"i don't know." he answers.

"i think there is." i say and he nods. we walk in a peaceful silence enjoying the cool air and the sound of the crickets. "told you!" i say as i see the sign for the park. we walk to it and i head towards the swings. he follows me and i begin swinging as he just sits there. "what's wrong?"

"nothing." he shakes his head.

"colt." i frown and quit swinging.

"i'm just tired." i could tell he was lying when he looks away before talking but he wasn't in the mood to talk right now and i knew if i kept asking he'd get upset.

"i know you're lying but if you don't wanna talk it's okay. tell me when you're ready." i say. he slightly nods and stares at the ground looking like he's thinking.

"it's been ten years." he mumbles. i didn't know what he was talking about but i really wanted to know. ten years ago i was eight and definitely couldn't remember what happened. "my mom."

"baby." i whisper and get up wrapping my arms around him. ten years ago his mom abandoned him and he hasn't seen her since. last he knew she was married to some guy in miami but that was about four years ago.

"i'm sorry i brought it up. when i looked at the time i realized the date." he says but i shake my head.

"don't apologize for something that bothers you." i place a kiss on his forehead and hold him tighter as he wraps his arms around me.

"it doesn't bother me, just pisses me off, i'm her son and she left me for some dude. i should come first, i should be her first priority, i should have been in her life. not some dude with money." his eyes harden as he talks. his tone, his body language, his face, everything showed that he was angry.

"yes you should have been but you have no control over that. instead of being angry about this let's calm down-"

"that's so easy for you to say." he lets go of me and stands up walking a little away from me which forces me to let go of him. "you have both parents, access to any college you want, everything you've ever wanted at your finger tips, brothers that protect you in a way i begged for." he says.