chapter 20

(kingsley's pov)

"hi." i happily say when i answer colton's facetime call. it was only ten but i was already in bed with all my lights turned off because i was tired.

"hi." the screen loads and then it shows him on his balcony: shirtless, in sweats, and white boxers. i take a breath staring at him and then i notice the blunt he's lighting.

"you're smoking." i comment.

"yeah," he takes a drag. "it's been a long day." he says and i sigh.

"are you okay?" i ask him.

"i'm getting a second job." he says.

"oh...why? where?" i ask. the times i see him are already very slim as is and now if he has a second job i won't be able to see him hardly ever.

"that's why i called, i want you to hear it from me and not someone else-"

"what did you do?" i ask quietly.

"nothing but it's at country line." he says and i sigh.

"as a bartender?" i ask. "or a dancer?"

"both." he mumbles and stares at the ground.

"but they do private dances and i don't exactly want another girl all over you." i say and he nods looking back at his phone.

"i know, i'm not doing private dances and i've told them that. i'm just doing the stage dances and i'll be dressed as a cowboy just shirtless." he says but i couldn't help but still be upset.

country line is basically a strip club. shirtless guy's dressed as cowboys dance on stage with girls in short shorts and seductive shirts that are basically bras. people throw cash at them and yeah they make a lot but i don't want another girl all over him.

on my eighteenth birthday layla dragged me there and yeah it was fun and the guys were hot but never did i think colton would want to do this.

"so you're a stripper." i say and he sighs.

"sure, if that's what you wanna call it." he says.

"colton no one knows about us. girls there are gonna think your single because you've never done relationships. even now, we aren't even together!" i say as he smokes. i wasn't even sure if he was listening to me because he wasn't even looking at his phone, he was staring at the parking lot.

"you don't trust me." he finally says.

"no, i do-"

"if you did this wouldn't be a big deal. i swear to god i'd never cheat on you. i want you like i've never wanted any other girl baby. why don't you see that? why don't you trust me?"

"i do colt-"

"no you don't. if roles were reversed, i'd support your decision and try to go to every single one of your dances and you know that. i'd be your biggest supporter because i know you're mine...at the end of every night i'll be yours." he says and i stay quiet.

he's right but i don't trust any girl in this town. they're all the same and he's beautiful. he's put up a front so most people will leave him alone but there are some girls who still try to talk to him. especially if he's working with them, he'll either glare and be left alone or they'll find that attractive and try to "fix him." well he isn't broken sweetheart so leave him alone!

i can't be mad though. if i told him i wanted to work there he'd be front row every dance i did because that's just how he is. he's so supportive and always has been, and i know he needs the money.

"i'm coming to get you." he says and stands up. he hangs up the phone and i stare at the screen for a minute. he's coming over, right yeah, okay i gotta go get ready.