80 - part three

chapter song — to build a home

trigger warning.

8.49PM Friday, June 3rd.

"We need to get out of here, NOW!"

Leo stilled at Presley's words. He shifted his eyes to her, gaze drifting behind her figure, watching silently as the two fires merged to one.

How the fuck did it get so bad?

He knew the one on the bed must've been caused by both his and Oliver's cigarettes, given the fact both fell from their lips to the sheets the second Felix set out to hurt himself.

Curse Shelia and her highly flammable sleep spray.

The other; the large amber flames currently burning a black hole in the carpet, was from the lighter. He knew that because he could see it, his eyes entrapped by the bright hues of orange as it rested peacefully in the middle of the chaos, the silver tint to it's skin slowly morphing to a shade of dull, smokey grey as it began to char.

And, damn, Leo felt like crying. Not about the fact he could literally die and char just like his beloved lighter had, but because he really really loved that lighter. It sounds silly, but it was almost of sentimental value. He'd stolen it from Carter two years ago, which didn't go unnoticed by the older boy, and it had been by his side though thick and thin.

Call Leo a sap, but it felt like the end of an era.

Subtly wiping his eyes, Leo focused his gaze on anything other than the burning metal in the middle of the flames, and drew his gaze to the fire itself.

Just like the demons in his mind, the flames danced around the carpet, engaging with the smaller fire on the bed as they merged together and climbed the walls, devouring everything in their sights as the once white walls morphed to smouldering black.

It was a beautiful in a way that was tragic; the light created a darkness of it's own, proof that even the brightest of things can be devastating.

"We're so going to jail," Arlo choked out, words coated in terror.

Leo turned to him, his eyes feeling teary again as he took in the sight. He watched the younger boy pull his legs to his chest, back arched against the blackening walls as he rocked his body back and forth. He was trembling, blue eyes glistening as they watched the flames fearfully.

Leo couldn't grasp why Arlo was so terrified. As much as he'd come to somewhat enjoy life, it still wasn't as dear to him as it was to the people around him.

"Don't worry, Lo," Leo smiled, or attempted to smile, trying his best to be somewhat reassuring. "I mean, we can't be jailed if we're dead, right?"

Presley's shoulders sagged as she deadpanned. Leo was really not the best at lifting the spirits.

Arlo's mouth dropped open, eyes widening as he gaped at Leo. It was silent for a what felt like hours, but was realistically three seconds.

"Oh, God! We're going to die!" Arlo cried, his baby blue eyes brimming with tears; the whites a little more bloodshot than normal due to the thickening smoke.