19.

gioreyna
20 min ago

The sky was darker than usual, with a storm brewing along the coast

The sky was darker than usual, with a storm brewing along the coast. The moon was shining across the twinkling city lights that peeked through the growing haze. Sounds of chatter glistened through the air as Gio walked towards the town square.

His forearms and back ached from the long day of golf, feeling sore in muscles he didn't use for his main sport. The heavy clothes didn't help him feel better either- having to wear a fancy Ralph Laurent button up and khaki pants for the country club. Since Christian was a member, due to his parents and brother-in-law, he could bring anyone to the pristine green course. Hence, the planned boys golf day.

But Gio was glad it was over and that he'd somehow won. And that they were headed to a burger joint for food. His stomach kept rumbling on the walk and his mouth was salivating for French fries.

"You're quiet." Christian said from beside him. They were walking ahead of the others: the Fieri boys, Nick, and Danny. Though, Gio knew his friend just didn't want to be near Hunter. He'd been steering clear of the cook since the beginning of the day.

"So are you." Gio countered with a sly grin.

Christian rolled slightly softer-colored brown eyes. "I said it first."

"I beat you in golf." Gio shrugged with a chuckle, earning a slap on his shoulder from the shorter forward.

"Shut up." Christian groaned. "Now, spill. You look like you've been holding something in all day. Are you constipated?"

Gio took his turn in slapping his friend on the back of his head. Christian winced, rubbing the impacted area with a sigh. "If I tell you, promise you won't kill me?"

Christian furrowed his brows, sticking his hands in his khaki shorts pocket. "Depends on what it is."

Gio ran a hand through his sweaty hair. "I kissed your sister last night."

Christian's jaw smacked into his chest. He turned to Gio with wide eyes, walking sideways as they continued their journey. His cheeks were tinted red- maybe in embarrassment about his friend and teammate kissing his own sister. Though, he was the one to suggest confessing feelings. "You kissed my sister!? Wha- I'm guessing you told her about your little crush then?"

"Yeah." Gio blushed, rubbing the back of his neck. "She said she liked me too."

"So you guys are dating now?" Christian beamed with a smile.

Gio furrowed his brows, thinking back on the situation. He twirled his lips to the side. "Well, I didn't ask her out per say."

"What!?" Christian gasped, slapping a hand on his forehead. "What do you mean you didn't ask her out? You kissed her!"

"Well-" Gio was nervous. "Yeah, after we kissed we just kept talking but I never... I didn't flat out ask her to be my girlfriend."

"You're an idiot." Christian groaned with annoyance dripping on each word. "What are you waiting for?"

"I-" Gio wasn't even sure. He felt a tinge of guilt in his heart. He glanced at Christian with eyes kind of droopy. "Are you okay with me dating her?"

Christian shook his head, chuckling. "You already know I am. I wouldn't want her with anyone else, man."

"Thanks." Gio felt relieved. Although he knew Christian supported him, he still wanted to be polite and ask. Even after their conversation in Qatar. "I'll ask her tomorrow."

"Not tomorrow." Christian clenched his jaw.

Gio laughed. "Why? You have the day booked for something?"

Christian paused, nodding slowly. "I do actually."

"What is it then?" Gio was curious. And Christian was acting weird. He kept looking back at Hunter, and straightening his jaw.

"I'm going to ask Hannah something tomorrow."

Gio patted his friend on the back. "Ah good for you man! You're gonna ask her out again? Maybe you should buy her a 'let's try again' necklace, you know she likes her jewelry."

Christian stifled a chuckle, glancing at the water fountain ahead of them. "I'm going to propose."

It was Gio's turn to be shocked, staring at him feverishly with his mouth agape. Propose? He was going to ask Hannah to marry him? He couldn't believe it. "You're not bullshitting?"

"No." Christian smirked. "I have the ring and everything."

"Holy shit." Gio whispered. He glanced at Hunter over his shoulder as he talked with Nick. The two of them probably going over their sucky strokes from earlier. "What about Hunter?"

"I'm just going to hope Hannah still loves me." Christian shrugged. "I can't worry about the rest."

"I'm here for you." Gio nodded with a smile. "And I know you guys are going through a rough patch but she loves you. I hope tomorrow you'll be my future cousin-in-law."

"I hope so too." Christian sighed dreamily. "But please don't tell anyone. Including my sister. She'd run to Hannah first."

"I won't." Gio brought him in for a side hug.

They finally made it to the burger joint and were seated shortly after. The boys were all chatting about their day and how hungry they were. Gio felt a vibration in his jeans pocket, prompting him to check the notification. He glanced at his screen- feeling a rush of emotions run through him, including fear.

USMNT has posted a new picture