21.

a/n: hey everyone! I hope you guys are still enjoying the story so far! This chapter is the second part to chapter 20- but I went ahead and made it it's own chapter lol!

The sky had grown dark, but the two siblings still sat elbow-to-elbow on the sand. Stella caught herself staring into the oblivion of the horizon. Her mind was racing, scrambling through memories that reminded her everything would be okay. But another voice spoke on her shoulder, suggesting the complete opposite. A gut feeling that everything had shifted.

She glanced at her brother, with some tears brimming in her eyes. She wasn't sure why she suddenly felt the urge to cry- but it might've been because she'd never seen him in so much pain. He'd always been the one to watch over her, sit with her when she cried, protect her from life and all the complicated emotions, but who'd been there for him?

"I should've talked to you more." Stella breathed a heavy gulp of air. "I should've asked how you were handling everything."

Christian, still wearing the bloodied button-up, shook his shaggy hair. "I wouldn't of told you the truth. I didn't want you to worry."

She sucked in her lips and closed her eyes, feeling how heavy her heart was in her chest. "You're my brother, Chris. I'm here for you just as much as you are for me. You don't always have to be the strong one."

He let out a grim chuckle. "You've always been the strong one, Stell. Always the glue."

She wrapped his arm around him as they huddled together in the wind. He let out a groan, adjusting his impacted jaw. His whole body was bruised and battered, but he leaned against Stella trying to forget everything. "You think she still loves me? Or is she really... done? After everything..."

Stella kept her eyes on the water, listening to slush of the water as a wave crashed. "I don't think she's ever stopped loving you. I don't think she ever will. But sometimes it just doesn't work."

He nodded slowly, trying to process her words. There was guilt written all over his face. His bushy eyebrows furrowed together in a worried crease, eyes drained of color and mourning his actions, and his hands never let go of the black box. "I love her. I always will."

"I know." She wore a heart-broken smile. "Maybe in another life, you two will be together. Soulmates always end up together in the end."

"Like you and Gio?" His whisper echoed in her ear.

Stella clenched her jaw, looking at him with sorrowful honey eyes. "We're not talking about me today, Chris. We're talking about you."

"I'm tired of talking about me." Christian sat up straight. "And when we go back inside, I won't hear the end of it from mom and dad. Hannah too- probably."

Stella chuckled, shaking her head. "A lot of other things happened while you were on your walk."

Christian raised a brow. "Like what?"

"Christian!" Gio yelled with his hands cupped around his mouth. "Christian, where are you!?"

The wind was heavy, blowing through their shirts and hair as it whipped the waves into shape. Stella hugged her shoulders, feeling a tinge of cold scrape her skin. She walked along the shore looking for a sign of her brother. The beach was pretty-much empty, only a couple of elderly folks were sitting in their beach chairs as she continued walking towards the hotels.

Joah and Carolina were beside her. They weren't as chatty as normal, focusing on the task at hand. But, she knew they both were probably scared and slightly angry. Well, Joah was slightly angry. He kept his head low, sticking his eyes on his feet. His jaw was locked and body tense. Stella wanted to hug him, but knew that was a parent thing to do. She squeezed his shoulder softly, offering a quick smile of reassurance.