29.

stellapulisic
25 min ago

stellapulisic 25 min ago

__

"Chase is going to hate me." Stella snatched her phone from Christian's sticky fingers. She couldn't even go to the bathroom without her siblings meddling. Her fingers were still a bit wet from the expensive water fountain sink. She could see damp fingerprints on her screen and rolled her hazelnut eyes.

Christian was sitting beside her with a smug grin. He looked just as dorky in the selfie he took, in real life, wearing a tee shirt and off-colored baseball cap. He surely didn't get the memo that their parents were taking them to a fancy brunch restaurant.

Neither did Stella.

"He works too much to hate you. Doesn't have the time."

"Shut up." She nudged his arm with her own. He mimicked her words and stuck out a tongue like they were kids again.

Devyn shook her head in distaste, which was very on brand, especially since she did get the memo about what to wear. "Cut it out before mom and dad see."

Stella and Christian turned to her with grimaces. "Shut up, DeeDee."

Devyn pretended to be insulted, but Stella could see a twinge of a smile as her dimples deepened. She moved back to her seat across from the dynamic duo. Avery was in her stroller seat watching a sensory video for babies. And Austin was in a deep conversation with Mark, like usual. He sat on his wife's left, nodding up and down like a therapist.

"So you talked with them?" Stella whispered to her brother.

Christian leaned back in his chair, throwing an arm around her shoulder. "Don't worry, sis. I got it covered. They definitely liked my speech."

"Your speech?" Devyn looked appalled. She crossed her arms and raised a brow as Christian turned a deep shade of crimson.

"Well, Devyn had some good points too."

Devyn rolled her eyes. "Gee, thanks."

"Something must have worked, right? Considering they invited us all to brunch?"

"Maybe." Devyn shrugged, always nonchalant. "Or they already planned it because you guys are leaving soon."

"Yeah, leaving being the key word idiot." Christian narrowed his eyes at her. "Stella too."

"No shit." Devyn let the sibling dialect slip. She quickly covered her mouth and peeled around the stroller cover. Avery was still enthralled by the bouncing vegetables. Stella and Christian chuckled.