Ch. 3 Guardian

Lily’s P.O.V.
It’s too damn early to get up during school break. 
“Well, I guess joining the military after you graduate high school is out of the question,” Luke teases, “even if you’re living at the base, you’ll need to get up early.”
I tiredly get up and get ready to leave, grabbing my suitcase and backpack. Mom asked three times if I was sure about this, and I remember her being worried when Luke left for basic training.

I should have known there’d be a meeting right when we got to the base. The boring ‘here are the rules’ meeting and learning Cybertronian names. The only good part about the meeting was that Sideswipe would be what they call a guardian — though only until I go back to school.
“Sideswipe?” My brother asks, “out of all the Autobots?”
“She’s only twelve, and he’s like a kid himself,” Optimus explains, “he’s more like a friend for her while she’s here, but he also needs to keep her safe and not get lost in this place.”
“Why not one of the femmes?” Ratchet asks.
“I’m sure the femmes will check on them often,” Optimus explains.
I’m told I’ll stay in my brother’s room as both femmes rooms are full. I doubt our parents will let me come here alone or even stay here during the summer until I’m eighteen. I think I scared everyone when I asked if I could stay in the twins’ room, and I doubt the issue is because I’m a girl.
“You handle this, Sideswipe,” Optimus says, leaving with everyone but Luke.
“Lily, what were you told yesterday?” Luke asks.
“Oh, come on! I may be only twelve, but I know there’s a reason for his behavior!”
“Lily may be shy and like being by herself, but she’s determined when she wants something,” Luke explains, “you know your brother more than I do. If you think they could be friends, then go ahead. Just keep her safe. Lily, do what Sideswipe tells you. If he says leave Sunstreaker alone, then you leave him alone. Now, let’s go get breakfast.”
Sideswipe and I follow Luke to the cafeteria.

Sideswipe’s P.O.V.
I get why they think I’ll be a good match for Lily as guardian, but they forgot that Sunstreaker doesn’t like seeing me with humans outside my training class. Why not Drift? She’ll be here for two weeks. Why else were he and Crosshairs called to return with Bumblebee and Hound? From what I heard, Jamie and her two friends were not in a good mental state for the four of them to leave. Jasmine is busy working in the medbay, finishing her medical training, and caring for her baby sister. I would have my training class, but it’s technically my spring break. Though what’s different is I’m waiting for recruits.
Everything is fine until Sunstreaker walks in. Lily smiles momentarily when she sees him, but her smile fades as Sunstreaker looks our way. Damn, she can feel his bad energy. I don’t want her to be afraid of him, but I’m unsure if she should try to befriend him.
I can’t believe there’s another brat here. Sunstreaker rages through the bond.
No doubt Lennox will let his kids stay here. 
I think I’ll need to talk to Sunstreaker alone before Lily can try to talk to him.

I go with Lily to Luke’s room. I learned a lot from watching her unpack a suitcase, but I think Luke and I have been shown Lily wants to stay here beyond spring break. This kid has some big plans. I see she likes art like Sunstreaker. There’s an idea for later, but it will not be good if he refuses to sit with her.
Crosshairs, Drift, and Jazz come by. Jazz takes Lily to his room, wanting to know what music she likes.
“Well, we wanted to talk to Luke, but—.”
“I can handle her!” I argue.
“We want to help,” Drift says.
“I want Lily to make friends, Sideswipe,” Luke explains as he walks into the room, “I was hoping she’d meet Jamie. I heard Optimus and Ratchet talking about Jamie one day. Raging about how she is due to bullying. Lily is bullied and has one friend. I found out Jamie is double Lily’s age plus three years, but Optimus and Ratchet agree the two could be good friends, and being friends with some of you guys could also help.”
“Is that why you guys were called back?” Sideswipe asks.
“Sort of, but Prime worries Jamie’s mental state isn’t good for this plan right now,” Drift explains, “you know damn well we wouldn’t agree to return without a strict plan in place. Cade stayed behind. We think he can handle her, but he’ll tell us if Jamie needs us.”
I think Jamie will be back soon — even if it’s not because of her mental health. 
I tell the two I will try to keep Lily away from Sunstreaker.
“...at least for now. I might get Sunstreaker to do something with her for a few hours. Letting her work on becoming friends with him... I don’t know.”
“You know how dangerous he is. Just be careful Lily doesn’t get hurt,” Drift says, and the two mechs leave.
I know the Jones family will be livid if anything happens to Lily.

Sunstreaker’s P.O.V.
It’s bad enough that brat is here, but Sideswipe is her guardian, which means I’ll see more of her than if any others were assigned to babysit her.
“Don’t even think about scaring her!” Prowl scolds as he walks by me.
“You’re ok with this?” I ask Sideswipe.
“You know humans aren’t that bad. Some are annoying, but not all of them.”
“Fine, you befriend her, BUT NOT ME!”