Ch. 31 What Now?

Lily's P.O.V.
By five, Drift decides it's time to return to the base, and it's too late for a meeting. He says I can stay with him and Crosshairs tonight, and I'm worried they're neglecting their charge.

As Drift drives into the hangar, we see Sunstreaker sitting on the hood of his alt mode. He looks at Drift pulling in, not pleased he got caught, before running out of the hangar. Drift doesn't look pleased with this.
"He's been having a hard time knowing you had a nightmare last night," Drift explains.
"I know; he said he was leaving in his note this morning."
"Optimus won't let him. Trust me, everything will work out."

Sunstreaker sits at another table at dinner. Should I stay here or go talk to him? Until Ironhide sits at the table with Sunstreaker. Oh boy, he will probably point out how Sunstreaker was a fool for thinking he could befriend me, and I don't want to deal with that right now.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
"Will you just leave me alone?" I ask.
"I find it hard to believe you, of all Autobots, is giving up."
"What can I do? Everything was fine, but then she had a nightmare that terrified her. After time alone with her. She fell asleep on the way back to the base last night. She trusted I'd bring her back to the base, yet she had a nightmare."
"Didn't you two spend time together in your art room?"
"Yes, we made great progress Saturday. She was playful while we were out with Crosshairs and Drift for breakfast. She came by my art room but.... got anxious before knocking on the door. I got her to calm down, and we started painting together. Until we headed to the cafeteria and—."
"I pulled her away, and she raged at me," Ironhide sighs.
"I talked to Optimus, and he said he'd talk to everyone."
"He did, and you should have heard how well Crosshairs and Drift defended you. Some Autobots are still concerned about you and Lily being friends."
"After Sunday, I don't know if he should stay away from her. Her nightmare answers my question, but Optimus still thinks I have a chance. I don't know, especially if the nightmares are back and Ratchet says we can't give Lily sleep aid while she's on anti-anxiety medication, which is helping her talk to me," I sigh, frustrated.
"Considering the progress made in a week, I think things are going well," Ironhide smiles.
"Do you actually think this is working? Or just being nice?"
"You knew setbacks were possible. The end goal is just delayed. I'm unsure how much help I can be, but I can try to help."
"Talk to Drift. I don't know what you can do."
After being told I can't go back to Cybertron, I got the painting I did for Lily framed. While she's watching T.V., I leave a note and hang the painting in her room.

Sideswipe's P.O.V.
"I can tell Lily regrets not asking Sunstreaker to join us," Drift whispers, "but I am uncertain if the two spending time together before bed is a good idea."
Great, I fear Drift will suggest limited time together for a while. I'm worried Sunstreaker is going to run out of patience.

Sunstreaker is asleep when I walk into our room. His phone screen is on, showing a picture of Lily. I'm amazed it's not his phone's background and lock screen photo. I wish I could do more to help, but Drift and Rung are right; Lily and Sunstreaker need to tell each other how they feel. If they're terrified to say that, then the relationship won't work.

Sunstreaker is afraid to see Lily before she goes to school. She didn't notice the painting he hung but was disappointed he didn't come by with breakfast and a note.
I can hear the uncertainty in Lily's voice as she tells me she hopes to see Sunstreaker when she gets back from school.

"Hmm, that's a good sign," Drift believes, "I worry about nightmares. Not sure if letting her fall asleep while watching T.V. helps."
I'm only worried about how long Sunstreaker will wait and deal with the setbacks. We know this is causing high-stress levels for both Lily and Sunstreaker.
Drift is figuring out a routine we can do while Lily goes to school and ensuring she's relaxed before sleeping.

Lily's P.O.V.
I don't know about Drift's plan. I'm unsure if I should say I'm still confused about how to think about Sunstreaker. How the fuck can I think I want to date him and have his baby when I see Audrey to thinking he'll kill Veronica. Sure, I can keep it secret that I go to a military base, but if she and Sunstreaker decide to go to my house simultaneously...

Drift sits with me in the conference room while I do my homework. I know he's worried about the pile of catch-up work I picked up and that I worked on my homework and catch-up work for two hours before getting hungry.

Sunstreaker is on his way to the cafeteria when he sees me. Behind him is Ironhide.
"Hey," Sunstreaker smiles, "I'm already missing our routine. I don't care if Crosshairs and Drift are with us."
Before I can say anything, Ironhide approaches me and crouches down, "I know you saw me sit with Sunstreaker at dinner last night and that everyone is worried about your safety, but most won't try to stop you two. You should have heard Crosshairs, and Drift defended Sunstreaker. There will be an adjustment period, but you do what you want. Just be careful," Ironhide stands up and looks at Sunstreaker, "but. I'll gladly kick your aft if you hurt her or any human she knows," Ironhide warns before entering the cafeteria.
"Ok, let's go get dinner," Drift suggests.
I take Sunstreaker's hand and enter the cafeteria with Crosshairs and Drift.

I'm having the feeling of confusion again. Twenty minutes with Sunstreaker, and I regret Drift's change in our routine. Even if this lasts for a few weeks.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
"Are you sure there's nothing we can do to help Lily not feel confused?" I ask Drift when Lily goes to the bathroom.
"The issue I'm worried about is her nightmares. Especially since she's going to school and can't take sleep aid with her medication," Drift explains.
"What about a little time together before we watch T.V.?" Crosshairs asks, "like the two do a little art? Maybe Sunstreaker can watch T.V. with us? Lily is distracted."
"Maybe it's hard to know. Hence why we're dealing with this setback. I'm worried about nightmares and Lily's exhaustion while going to school."
In this case, she'll need to catch up beyond needing summer school, and that's what I worry about.

I'm glad Lily wants to continue our painting for a few hours. Drift believes it'll be ok if I talk to her while we work and even getting her to talk about her nightmare.
"Lily, tell me about your nightmare. I know it was about me," I knew she'd hesitate, but I didn't think she'd look at me, scared, "how else can I help you?"
"How?" She asks, afraid, "you killed my only friend and.... said you'd have no problem killing me."
I shouldn't be surprised, but everything was going well. Why now did Lily have this nightmare?
Sideswipe, I need you to tell Drift something now. I don't know if he can deal with the problem before Lily goes to bed, but this is bad.
Sideswipe couldn't believe what I'm telling him.
Lily stays with me, but I fear she's thinking about not coming back. Everything we worked on in a week is gone.