Ch. 5 Learning About The Twins

Lily’s P.O.V.
Luke told me he’d let me sleep in, but I heard him get up at six A.M. I was going to try to fall asleep, but then I remember hearing Sunstreaker has morning patrol. I don’t know what time, so I hurry, only putting my boots on and grabbing my grey hoodie. I forgot the twins’ room is down the hall, and I have to run by.

“Lily!” Sideswipe scolds. I stop and look at him, “don’t act like you’re doing nothing wrong! I know what you’re up to!”
“What the hell, Sideswipe?” I hear Sunstreaker ask as he walks to his brother, “oh you.”
Sideswipe looks at me, then at his brother for a few seconds. Sunstreaker doesn’t look pleased.
“Ok, Lily, Sunstreaker is going on his patrol. We’ll meet him in an hour for breakfast.”
Sunstreaker leaves the room, annoyed. Sideswipe is about to say something when he gets a text.
“A meeting? Now? Ugh,” he sulks and leaves the room, forgetting I’m around. He also forgot to close the door.

It’s clear who’s side is who’s; Sideswipe’s is a mess and has a laptop and PlayStation five on the desk, while Sunstreaker’s side is clean and has a few sketchbooks on the desk. Surely he has more than this? And what’s with the knife collection on the wall? I have to be careful with what I do so they don’t know I’ve been in here. Which means I can’t take one of Sunstreaker’s shirts. I like the cologne he uses. Twenty minutes is long enough. I better leave.

I sit on my bed, sketching Sunstreaker from memory. I’m not good at sketching people yet, but he’s a good subject to try. I keep looking at the door every ten minutes, hoping the twins won’t talk in. I’m unsure if plans changed due to Sideswipe’s unexpected meeting. After forty minutes, I put the sketchbook away; hoping Luke doesn’t find it.,

The twins walk in an hour later.
“Have you been laying here the entire hour?” Sideswipe asks.
“Yeah.”
“Ok... Let’s go.”

Sideswipe had to leave me again after breakfast. I heard Sunstreaker telling Sideswipe he would do a workout in the training room. With my unofficial guardians nowhere to be seen, I try to find the training room. I guess the soldiers haven’t been told to keep me away from Sunstreaker, as one soldier tells me where the room is.

I do my best to sneak in and hide, and I should consider myself lucky there’s a large beam to hide behind. Like the rest of the base, this room’s ceiling is high enough to allow an Autobot to use their bipedal form, but the equipment here is human-sized. Do they need to keep their holoforms fit as well? I can’t tell how much weight Sunstreaker is lifting, but it has to be a lot. I know he’s supposed to have someone spot him, and I won’t be any help if he can’t lift the bar off him.

Sunstreaker’s P.O.V.
No one told her about our advanced sense of smell. She probably thinks the only way I’d be able to detect her is in my bipedal form.
Don’t even think about it, Sunny! Sideswipe scolds through the bond.
I can’t have fun? I don’t think she’ll be scared.
I feel Sideswipe’s worry grow.
Sure, fun for now, but how long before you frighten her?

Ignoring Sideswipe, I quietly put the bar on the holder and sneak toward her.
“Boo!”
I knew she’d scream for a second but then started laughing.
“What are you doing?”
“Nothing,” she replies.
Yup, she doesn’t know we can smell lying. I don’t have to say anything before Lily runs out of the room, passing by some other humans.
“What are you looking at?!”
The humans walk away.
I hope you enjoyed that, Lily, because I will no longer be nice. We will not be friends, and I know she’ll be spying on me. Just hope she doesn’t ask Mirage for tips on how not to get caught.

“So you changed your mind?” Sideswipe asks.
“NO!”
I sit at my desk and work on a sketch.

Sideswipe’s P.O.V.
Then explain why I feel you’re happy and not you terrorized a human happiness. It might take a while, but I think you and Lily will be friends. I just hope you don’t terrify her first.

While Sunstreaker is busy, I go find Lily, but I don’t have to walk far down the hall to find her talking to Luke.
“.... I don’t know, Lily. You don’t understand how dangerous he is,” I hear Luke say before asking why Lily is interested in Sunstreaker, and just like when I asked her; Lily runs off.
“Damn it, I’m glad she’s not eighteen,” Luke comments as he walks towards me, “did I make a mistake, Sideswipe?”
“It’s not like you knew she’d be interested in Sunstreaker. It’s possible to at least get on his good side, but that’s a challenge.”
“I trust you have a plan — even if it’s not to convince her to stay away from Sunstreaker — and will keep her safe.”

Lily’s P.O.V.
I run into Optimus as tears roll down my face. I didn’t think he’d take me to his office.

He has me sit on the chair in front of the desk. He sits behind his desk and asks me what’s wrong.
“Why tell you?” I sob, “you’ll just tell me to stay away from him.”
Optimus sighs and picks up his phone. He’s probably texting Luke, and I won’t even bother arguing not to send me home.

Sideswipe and Luke walk into the room. Optimus tells Luke I should know about Sunstreaker, and Sideswipe agrees.
I find out the twins had a rough childhood with parents who said they were a mistake. Their father — or sire, as they say — would beat both of them, but mostly Sunstreaker and Sunstreaker endured much psychological abuse. I knew there was a reason I felt sorry for Sunstreaker and now Sideswipe.
“... most of the Autobots would rather you stay away from Sunstreaker, but Sideswipe knows how to deal with his brother,” Optimus finishes.
“I might be able to get him to like you,” Sideswipe adds, “you two being friends is overthinking right now. You know my job is to keep you safe first.”
“You know our parents would have mine and Sideswipe’s heads if something happens to you,” Luke adds, “I trust Sideswipe will keep you safe while trying to help you. Listen to Sideswipe.”
My brother kisses my forehead and leaves the room.
“Remember there are others who’d like to be your friend, Lily,” Optimus reminds me, “you need to take this slowly.”
I go with Sideswipe to play video games in the lounge room.