Ch. 37 Beaten

Lily's P.O.V.
"I like this routine," Sunstreaker comments, "nice breakfast together before you go to school, and I have patrol. Though would be nice if you could come with me."
"There are school vacations, and maybe before I go to summer camp. I hope I don't need summer school."
I'm unsure when I'll let Sunstreaker come to my house or meet Veronica.
"Why are we up two hours early? It's a ten-minute drive, and school starts at nine."
I could get up at seven-thirty, but I like the two hours watching T.V. with Sunstreaker. Sunstreaker smiles hearing my explanation but says he'd rather I sleep.

I didn't know I fell asleep until Sunstreaker woke me up at eight-thirty.
"See? You need to sleep later."
I fix my hair and pack up. Hating that I fell asleep no matter what Sunstreaker said.
He kisses me before Sideswipe takes me to school.

"What did you do during the weekend that you're so happy about?" Veronica asks.
"Nothing," I lie, "just happy to be going back to school."
Veronica looks at me like she knows I'm lying but says nothing. I don't know how long I can keep my secrets.

Veronica left school early for an appointment. I'm alone waiting for Sideswipe.
"Hey, kid!" A boy yells.
Four kids surround me. One looks like he's supposed to be at the high school. I don't know these kids, but I'm their target.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
I hope Lily will be ok with me picking her up from school. It's one thing I'm unsure if she's ok with even if we're together, and stupid me forgot to ask this morning.
As I follow the line of cars to get into the pickup lane, I see kids surrounding Lily. I'm certain one kid is supposed to be at the high school, and they all beat her. I rush out of my alt mode to the scene.
"Hey!" I yell
The four kids look at me, shocked. Another human runs over. I'd like to deal with these kids, but I see blood pouring from Lily's head.
"Sir, we need to call an ambulance."
"No! I know where to take her!"
The human doesn't bother arguing.

I carry Lily to my alt mode and rush back to base.
:: Ratchet, I have an emergency. It's Lily.::
:: We'll meet you in the hangar.::
I hope no one will be around. They'll think I did this.

Just my luck, Prime and Prowl are also waiting for me. Jolt and Ratchet lay Lily on a stretcher and rush to the medbay. There's no getting out of this, and I'm in so much trouble.
"What happened?" Prime asks.
"I watched her get attacked," I explain, "she was knocked out when I got to her."
I expected to be forced to the brig, but they let me go to the medbay.

We wait in the hallway, hoping for good news soon. I know no matter what, Luke will be furious at me.

Ratchet's P.O.V.
"What the hell did he do?!" Jolt rages.
"I doubt he did this. Why didn't he finish killing Lily? Or contact me?"
I don't think Sunstreaker knows how injured Lily is, and a skull break caused the bleeding Sunstreaker noticed. Jolt doesn't believe another twelve-year-old did this, even if Lily is thin in weight.
"At least I don't have to shave all her hair off," I try to lighten the mood.
Lily's family will not like hearing what happened. The problem is Sunstreaker is the only one who knows what happened, and I don't think they'll believe him.

Sideswipe's P.O.V.
I sit by the bed and take Lily's hand. The lights are dim, and Ratchet suspects Lily has a major concussion. Not the worst injury Lily could have gotten, but still concerning.
"Sunstreaker?" Lily tiredly says.
"No, it's Sideswipe."
Sunstreaker, she's awake and thought I was you. I inform Sunstreaker.
I feel he's happy but still uncertain if he can go near her.
Lily doesn't last long before falling asleep. Ratchet tells me this is normal.
"I'm not sure how long she'll be here," Ratchet explains, "but for now, she has no permanent damage."

Sunstreaker walks in an hour later, uncertain if he should sit by the bed. Ratchet tells him what he told me. I feel how worried Sunstreaker is.
"She needs a strict period of minimal noise, and Sideswipe is too loud. Crosshairs and Drift already dealt with Jamie's friend, Jayce, having a concussion," Ratchet explains, "I also want to limit visitors, sorry. For ten days, minimum."
Then she'll be taken home. I wouldn't be surprised if her parents or even Luke felt like she's in danger while being with us. Sunstreaker tells me.

It's hard to be relaxed during the meeting about what happened to Lily. Her parents and brother and Crosshairs, Drift, Optimus, and Prowl are here. It's strange feeling Sunstreaker is afraid. Now that I think about it, why is he not blocking his side of the bond when he feels like this? I'm happy he's not, but it's strange.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
I didn't think I'd be asked to show what I saw before the kids ran off. Is the fact we can replay memories like a movie going to work for me?
Lily's family can't believe what happened to her. I hate this feeling I have.
"Hold on a sec, Sunstreaker," Prime insists as I try to leave the room, "it's obvious you didn't hurt her."
"I'd like to know what happened before they attacked her," Prowl comments and leaves the room.
"Mom, I know it looks like the Autobots put Lily in danger, but—," Luke defends.
"We know, no one knew there was a human working for an organization hoping to make the Autobots look bad, and we don't know if the kids knew Lily has been with the Autobots or this would have happened, regardless."
"We'll ask Lily what happened after the rest period is over and if Prowl has no answers," Prime decides.

Lily's P.O.V.
As I'm being told the twins won't be coming here for ten days, I think Sunstreaker will kill people, but I feel sad for him. Thinking this is how he deals with anger. He's been doing amazing and patient for the past two weeks rather than angry at me. Now he's angry at the kids who hurt me. I also worry about Crosshairs and Drift neglecting their charge, but considering how carefully they planned for Sunstreaker to join us throughout the day, I have to trust they're not ignoring her. They know when they need to leave.
I'm feeling tired and go to sleep.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
I'm allowed to see Lily as she sleeps. It's funny hearing Ratchet tried to shave as little hair as possible, and Jolt adds how Ratchet tried to make it not look like a bad haircut.
"Good luck keeping her from not getting bored if she's not allowed to do anything," I tell the two.
"If she's like how Jayce was, she won't want to do anything," Crosshairs points out.
"It's normal," Drift quickly adds.
They'll allow me to keep my breakfast routine, but we might have to drop the part where I'm staying to eat with her. I hope she recovers, and I'll make sure she's no longer these kids' target.