« Lucky Penny » (FLUFF)

1124 words

///

Dream had always believed in small luck things. Four-leaf clovers, fallen eyelashes on the face, horseshoe games.

But there was one that he favored- and believed in- the most.

Pennies.

You see a penny on the floor, or rather, anywhere. If it's facing heads that's good luck, you make a wish, and you can take it. If it's facing tails, you forget it and move on.

Nobody knew it was turn so cheesy.

//

"Jesus Christ it's cold tonight!! How are you not shaking, George?"
"I'm used to it. It's always this cold in the UK winter."
"Wack."

Dream is currently in Brighton with George, walking the streets with him at 10 pm. Why so late? In truth, they really had nothing better to do.

Their hands are intertwined tightly- Dream's fault. His body is jolting violently because of the cold. His free hand is stuffed deep into his sweatpants pocket, thumb rubbing anxiously over the engravings of the lucky penny he found on the sidewalk. His wish is buried deep in the basement of his mind. Locked in safes of secrecy.

George knew of this "lucky penny" thing. He caught Dream doing it every time they were out. He would see the shine if it in the sunlight and squeal, check it, and do the reciprocating action. George never paid any mind to it, other than the fact that he loved seeing Dream happy over something small.

So that's why he didn't ask about this specific one.

Their walk continued like normal. Occasionally they would stop at a small corner store, but seeing the late hour, majority of them were closed. They managed to get sodas and mediocre sandwiches from the drug store.

After walking for a considerable amount of time, they decide to stop at a town park. They sit at a bench under the gazebo, and Dream immediately goes into George's arms.

"I'm cold, George!"
"That's not my fault. You should've worn more layers. Didn't you check the weather before we left?"
Dream grunts in annoyance. "I forgot," he mutters. George smiles wide at his defeat. To battle his own sorry feelings, George spreads his gloved fingers through Dreams hair, softly scratching his scalp and ruffling the curls. Dream relaxes into the simple touch.

They sit like this for what feels like hours. Soft, comfortable, warm hours. Dream's eyes were closed at this point, drifting into a state of half-sleep-half-awake bliss. George took this opportunity to stare.

Stare at his beauty. Patchy beard, round nose, spaced eyes, thick eyebrows- freckles. God, that's what took him out every time. Like constellations. A space he could stare at for hours. Hours and hours and hours, never getting bored. Dream was just that beautiful. How the fuck was he real? And it wasn't just his looks- it was him. Dream genuinely cares. He notices the little things about George. He appreciates him- and shows it. He's patient, and real, and honest. He doesn't force George into anything- lets him take his time.

George needs to stop thinking, otherwise he'll start crying.

Dream notices his sudden gasp for air, and opens his eyes.

"Are you alright, love?"

George covers his face and looks away, eyebrows furrowing. "God, shut up." He'd been caught. His antics were interrupted. After a minute of recovering from the embarrassment, he looks down-

Dream is staring right back.

If it weren't such an intimate moment, George would've quoted the "Zing" from Hotel Transylvania.

"George?"

He looks back to the skyline; maybe he had stared for too long again. The eye contact is lost. "Yes?"

An icy hands meets his cheek. There's surprise, at first, but ice always melts into liquid; warmth blossoms through George's face. He forces himself to lock their eyes once more.

"George, do you know how much you mean to me?"

George's heart leaps, but he doesn't show it. "How much, Dream?"

Dream's face molds into something cheerful. He pulls his other hand out of his lap and tips his pointer fingers to the sky, making a range about as big as his fully-flexed hand. "This much."

George shifts one hand down to cup his face. "That's not a lot. What should I do to make it bigger?" His voice was all tease, and it makes Dream smile wider. They both knew where this was going. No one wanted to say it out loud. So, Dream tips his head back, puckering his lips dramatically. George cackles and leans down.

It wasn't the first time they've kissed- of course not. But it still sends shockwaves through them. Suddenly the cold leaves their bodies. The snow stops falling. Dream stops shivering. And when he pulls away, George chases after his lips for a millisecond, making him giggle.

The range grows to a foot.

"Wow Dream, it grew a lot. Do you really like kissing me that much?"

It's Dream's turn to cackle. His arms wrap around his sides and and he kicks his feet, howling in laughter like a preteen boy with a sex joke. "That sounds so bad, oh my god George!"

George joins in with his hysterics, covering his face and bending back against the bench. "Stop it, that's not what I meant!" One hand falls down to cover the dirty-blondes mouth. "You're such an idiot!"

Dream doesn't hesitate to grab his wrist and turn his hand around, kissing the back of it and moving up his wrist and forearm. If George's face wasn't red before, it sure as hell is now. He can't help but stare at his boyfriend once again. The laughter quickly dies down.

There are a million things he wants to say at this moment. Nothing slips out. Dream kisses his knuckles and palm over and over again, and slowly, his eyes drift up to lock with George's. He smiles when he can feel his pulse pick up under his thumb. George smiles back.

"George, are you happy?"

That was like a punch in the face. George inhales sharply, hands immediately moving to cup Dream's face. His thumb brushes against his cheek. "I'm very happy. Haven't felt like this in years."

Dream's smile grows wider. He sits up and pulls George into a strong kiss. It lasts only seconds, but it's the best few seconds ever. He kisses his face all over, next, pulling soft giggles from a porcelain body. There's one final peck against the tip of his nose before he pulls back and looks him square in the eyes.

"Then my wish came true."

///

this chapter 🫶 the story behind it makes me wanna cry AUFGHDBFJDBFNF /pos