Chapter 33 New Retainer

Alea Pov:

I am currently on my way to meet my squad. I was tasked by the council to search through a dungeon in the beast glades. During the past few weeks there were information about strange happenings reported. Due to this and the thought of the other continent clearing the dungeons or being here I was send to take a look. We do know how the continent named Alacrya is thinking of doing. The dwarven rulers are out of the loop due to the plea of our sources. They told us so much and also started making preparations to at least delay the alacryans army. It is really a shame how those kids are helping us keeping the continent safe. We are of course helping them as well but we still feel guilty. At least they are now in school and did something that made them happy namely adventuring. I just hope they do not have to fight in the war. They have already done enough.

I am greeting my people and we make plans of how we are going to fight. To be honest their tactics are superb but there is no space for me. Due to that I am placed in a supporter role. I can give orders far better and I can help out where help is needed. Everyone accepted this idea and so the twenty-five soldiers and I went to the portal. When we came out of the portal we got several strange stares. I guess they are asking themselves what a lance is doing here. We went farther into the beast glades. I would have preferred to fly but since I am the only one that can do that I decided against it. We are walking and walking they don't even chat with each other so I started. I asked them about their families and why they were here, why do they serve the council as guards or soldiers? At first they did not answer but one started and then the others followed suit. I learned that most have no family anymore. And most are in no relationship. This is because they could die or be blackmailed to do so. 'They cut of all of their feelings just for this job? I can't believe that someone would do that. Those guys must have had it hard.

After hours of trekking we made it to the entrance. From the inside we could feel some strange and powerful presence. We did not know what it was but we went inside and prepared ourselves for battle. On our way down the dungeon we thought several mana beasts and took their cores. The beasts were at the most A-class mana beasts. I don't know what is going on but I feel like there is something very wrong. The beasts are stronger then they should be and they attack kind of organised.

"General. I don't know what is going on but I feel strange. The mana beasts are acting like they want to tip us to shreds but not like normal beasts."

"He is right general. The mana beasts are more ferocious than usual. Shouldn't we turn back. If this continuous we will have losses."

"Then let us switch up the tactic. I will be in the front and you will support me." They looked at me with concern. "Don't worry I might be or look younger then most of you but that does not mean I am helpless. I am a lance after all and that title does not come without conditions."

"We agree general but please watch out. It is not as easy as it looks and we still need you when we confront the dungeon boss. So please do not overexert yourself. We are not capable of doing it alone."

"I am glad that you worry about me but don't worry. I have plenty of mana in reserve. Let's just carry on and look that we are finished with our task in some hours. After all we all want to be back in the evening and take a hot relaxing bath." At this everyone cheered and we slaughtered the mana beast in this section. Luckily there were no difficult mana beasts to deal with but there were so many that even I felt how my core was slowly drained. To be fair I did most of the work. We also paused several times to meditate and fill up our cores with mana. This was mainly for me since I needed the longest but it doesn't matter we progressed well until we came to the boss room. There on a rock she sat. She had sickly grey skin and black horns on her head. But that was not all the aura that she emanated was at least as strong as mine maybe even a bitter higher. That is not good and the beasts next to her look not like cute puppies either. They are all at least A-class mana beasts. This is bad but then she spoke up.