𝕙𝕦𝕞𝕒𝕟 𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕖 (𝟚)

☆

DAVID BOWIE HELPED time pass easily. callisto had spent hours in the library, waiting for morning to come, listening to his music as she read. when the doctor was the doctor again, she'd have to mention the idea of meeting the rockstar. he was definitely her favourite musician of any she'd listened to, including those of planets besides earth.

humanity was completely fucked, but holy shit, did they know how to make good music.

callisto stopped tapping her foot against the sofa when she thought she heard a noise from down the corridor. she pulled off her headphones, leaving them around the back of her neck. opening the door of the library, she heard the first recording of the doctor, the one that included the introductions for her and martha, followed by martha demanding what they were supposed to do if or when they saw a meteorite. still holding her book, callisto made her way to the console room.

"...now, i've put a perception filter on it, so human me won't think anything of it. to him it's just a watch. but don't open it unless you have to. 'cause once it's open, then the family will be able to find me. it's all down to you two. your choice. oh, and, thank you."

"i wish you'd come back." martha whispered.

"shit, isn't it?" callisto asked bluntly.

martha turned to her with a small yelp of shock, pressing her hand to her chest with a mocking glare, "why are you so silent?"

"because it's fun to make people jump." callisto joked, sitting on the rickety seat.

martha slumped down beside her, arms crossed with a soft frown on her lips, "i thought that you were still at the school. your bike's there."

"i left it for that reason." callisto answered.

"why? what time did you get here?" martha wondered.

"probably about half one." callisto answered.

"you've been here for six hours?" martha asked.

"i guess." callisto nodded. "i've just been in the library."

"you miss him." martha smiled softly.

callisto scoffed, "an annoyingly large amount."

"me too." martha chuckled.

a quiet moment passed between them, a comfortable one. martha could faintly hear moonage daydream still playing in callisto's headphones. martha stared at the console and callisto stared at the worn book in her hand, brushing her fingers over the yellowing pages.

"i hate it." callisto confessed. martha looked at her silently and watched her shift uncomfortably. "i hate the students, i hate the teachers, i hate the rules, the law, the men, the year. i hate that jarring nurse who thinks she's so much better than us, despite the fact we're smarter than her and her hair looks an under-proofed hot cross bun has been glued to her scalp."