chapter 26

Carina had almost reached Maya's level.
The blonde had seen her coming but she had not turned to her.

- "Maya?"

The captain had turned to her.

- "Hmm Carina right? Do you want an autograph too? Didn't you come with your... husband?" She asked, pretending to look around.

-"I uh... I, I just wanted to say hi..."

- "Good evening, then. Excuse me, I have a lot of people who want to see me".

- "not... No worries. I was... I was happy to see you" she said, her heart breaking.

The Italian had gone to join her brother.

- "What happened?"

- "she, she, asked me if I had come with... Charles"

- "oooh, Carina" said her brother, taking her in his arms. "I'm going to go see her"

- "no Andrea"

- "!" He said as he left in the direction of the blonde

"Maya?"

- "shall we... Andrea?"

- "in the flesh" he said, crossing his arms.

- "you are the plus one of your sister?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

-"Maya, you haven't seen Carina for fifteen years... She has suffered a lot, you mentioned Charles... A lot has changed... You hurt her... She doesn't deserve this."

- "Well, both of us were hurt then"

-"Maya, really, give my sister some time, please."

- "I... I'll see what I can do."

- "Thank you"

Andrea had returned to Carina who was now with Taryn.

- "I did what I could."

- "it's not your fault"

The evening had progressed and Maya had finally been able to free herself.

Alumni had taken the stage and given a speech before playing a video about their high school years.

Ryan and Andy, who had been elected prom king and queen at the time, were spotlighted and Tanner got down on one knee and asked Herrera to marry him.

Knowing that Maya had been contacted, he asked her if it was possible for her to help him propose to her best friend.

As Ryan made his speech to his future fiancée, the blonde looked at the brunette. She saw herself in a hotel room in London asking her to marry her.
Then she saw herself a few years back going on Facebook, the lack of the Italian becoming unbearable and seeing that her status was now in 'married' and that she had simply decided to leave Facebook and never come back, deactivating her account.

But what did Andrea mean by 'she suffered a lot... A lot of things have changed'.

The shout of joy of her best friend had taken her out of her thoughts and she had come to take her in her arms, then Ryan.

The video had resumed, showing Maya as a high school star, as well as in the category of the person who was most likely to become famous. She had received a fake medal. Other people had been elected in other categories.

The last classification had been the couple most likely to still be together fifteen years later. Maya and Carina had been nominated. They were each at one end of the room, their eyes fixed on the screen where pictures and videos of them were playing.