chapter 47

It had already been a week since Thanksgiving and they had survived. They still didn't know by what miracle Lane hadn't discovered the pot of gold yet, because they were having more and more trouble being discreet. It was often looks that could not deceive anyone who wanted to see what was going on, or even gestures, especially knowing Maya who had to be one of the least tactile people on earth, but with Carina everything was an excuse to make physical contact, a joke, to bump into each other unintentionally and take advantage of it, a misplaced lock of hair, everything.

They were in Carina's bed, scantily clad, talking on the pillow, the confessional as they liked to call it; there was always a moment before going to bed, before or after lovemaking, when they started to talk, about everything and nothing, about their day, the future, school, their friends, any memories. And like every night, they were there whispering.

- "So what should I get your parents for Christmas?"

-"You don't have to get them anything."

- "but I want to, they're taking me in and I love your mother."

- "they put you up but part of your scholarship covered your expenses for a year, believe me when I told my father about that part, he jumped at the chance... You'd have been a guy, he probably would have fixed up the attic for you... But the second you put up that webcam... I told my dad that I was willing to sacrifice myself, since this was my project and I was going to share my room with you."

- "oh so the second you saw me... You figured I might end up in your bed, so might as well speed things up?"

- "the second I saw you... No, but Carina, do you realize that you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen?"

- "at least"

- "I assure you... Who wouldn't dream of waking up and seeing you every day..."

- "and so that was your goal?"

-"To tell you the truth, I didn't think I had a chance... But I thought, maybe at the end of the school year, if we get along well enough, and you want to do one last crazy thing... You'd just have to walk across the room."

- "oh so, I walked through this room ten months too early?"

- "a month too late"

- "one month..."

- "you could have joined me the first week, I was already completely under your spell... Did you see my face when you took me in your arms, after you landed?!"

- "it's because you are not touchy-feely"

- "it's because I liked being tactile with you"

- "I like it very... Much... Much, too much, to be touchy-feely with you"

- "you can take away the 'too'."

- "you like being tactile with me?" Asked the Italian in a sultry voice, as if she had been naughty.

- "considering the current placement of my hands ... I would lean towards a yes..."
Answered Maya coming a little closer to Carina and urging her to lie on her back.

- "Is the confessional over?"

-"The confessional is closed for today..." Maya replied as she came over and kissed her neck. But Carina had then hit her face with the flat of her hand to make her back off.

-"Aoutch ! But what's wrong with you ?!"

- "oh sorry bambina ! I didn't measure my strength".

- "a little more and you'd put my eye out! What do I get for going one-eyed?"