chapter 51

It had been five days and yet in Maya's mind, that scene was still vivid.

On Monday when she arrived at class, several students had come up to her to show their support.
The bruise on her cheek was much more visible. The bone in Lane's hand had slapped against her protruding cheekbone and she was content to say that it looked uglier than it actually was painful.

Much of the school had witnessed the scene, and others had filmed it and shown it to those not present. Therefore, her father's reaction was no secret.

Even Arizona had come to Maya and told her that she felt bad for her, that she would never in a million years wish her worst enemy, which the blonde seemed to be, the reaction Lane had had that day. She was obviously touched by what had happened, being queer herself.

All her teachers had been made aware of the incident and had been instructed to go easy on her, at least for a while.

Five days. Five days and Maya could hardly look at her girlfriend. At best, she held her hand and kissed her chastely on the lips before going to bed or when she woke up; but the more the days passed, the more the life seemed to be sucked out of the blonde's body. As if a parasite was feeding on her soul and her usually overflowing energy.

She was so muscular and had very little fat but she had become even thinner, she hardly ate, or a banana from time to time and especially she spent hours and hours at the fire station.
All of the firefighters at Pruitt were her family at heart and they let her use the gym, just like a few years before.

They knew the blonde and would just drop off a piece of fruit and a full bottle of water from time to time.

After the incident, Maya had spent almost all of Saturday and Sunday running, and more than three hours at the end of each day of class since.

She wasn't unconscious, in the sense that she was doing it on the treadmill at Station 19, rather than on the street where her father could have easily found her. Here, she was as if untouchable. Uncle Charly and Uncle Snuffy had made all the teams promise not to let Lane near her, should he show up at the firehouse.

Pruitt kept a watchful eye on her. He had temporarily set up an office upstairs, next to the gym, and kept an eye out for any noise she might make.

So it had been five days already.
As since Friday night, Andy, Maya and Carina were in the same bed, the blonde in the middle. Of course, Andy could have slept on the couch or in the sofa bed in her father's office, but right now Maya needed to be surrounded by loving and caring people.

Every evening at the same time, Mason and Katherine came to see Maya at the barracks. They seemed to be doing well, as well as could be expected in such a situation.

The three of them were in bed together, the Italian and the Puerto Rican were talking, trying to get Maya to talk. However, the latter was content to answer with hum hum, she probably didn't even follow fifty percent of what they could say. She did hear the name of a teacher and Andy laugh, a love story obviously, and Carina's sublimely melodious voice, whose breath came to caress her neck, said that love was needed, even for strange teachers.

But Maya, lying on her back, between her girlfriend and her best friend had other things on her mind than the hectic life of their teachers.

They had finally settled down to sleep. Andy had turned with her back to the girls to lie on her stomach with her head facing away from them. Maya had remained on her back, her thoughts as only company. And Carina was on her side, facing the blonde, her hand on her lover's stomach.