chapter 49

The New Year had already passed two weeks ago and classes had been going on for almost as long.

The first week of January, Carina had gone to use Katherine and Lane's gift and had passed her license with flying colors. She didn't want to take it between Christmas and the first of January because she knew that it was harder to get her license before New Year's Eve, just as it was harder to get it before the summer vacations.

Maya, on the other hand, had been practicing all week because on Friday she had a race with the school.
Lane didn't have to be there because the high school coach was in charge of the race.

With the cold weather outside, Maya and the other competitors were glad to be in a closed field. It had been snowing outside for over a month and the Italian had never been so cold in her life. Her host family, but also her friends here in Seattle and at home were laughing at the situation.

She had made an effort for the thirty-first, but since the beginning of November, whenever she had to step outside she was freezing.

So Maya had been practicing with the rest of her school team on the high school track, the one that was covered, every day for the past two weeks.

The race was at home and involved several Seattle high schools.
The timing was perfect for the blonde. Her father couldn't pressure her because this afternoon he was working and hadn't been able to get away.

All day long, several students from the high school had come to see Maya to wish her good luck for the afternoon race. This increase in popularity of the sprinter was not to the liking of her girlfriend who had the impression that everyone was looking at her lover with too much desire or admiration in their eyes.
According to her, everyone wanted Maya. Only Maya was hers. The blonde had always been a popular girl. But as the races approached her popularity was even more present. Kids wanted a chance to talk to the high school star and have her answer them, even if it was just a hello.

- "Will you stop glaring at every person who walks by?" Asked the blonde at lunch time to her girlfriend.

- "why does everyone smile at you all the time, whenever you have an errand?! I don't understand!"

- "there's no sports club at your original place?"

- "yes there is a fencing club... But except when they go out with their big bag... I couldn't even tell you who they are..."

- "Maya's a star, get used to it, baby" Andy said, bringing her tacos to her mouth.

- "Yeah, well, Maya shines whether she's running or not. They don't need to kiss her ass, because today she's going to kick some butt."

- "grrr an angry Italian" laughed Ryan.

- "but you know I don't care... I'm just being polite" Maya told Carina.

- "they don't deserve to hear from you! If you lose, what are they going to do, throw tomatoes at you?!"

Everyone around the table, Ryan, Andy, Taryn, Alex, Jackson and Lexi had stopped and looked at Maya who had clenched her jaw slightly.

"What?! What did I say? Why are you all looking at Maya like that?"

-"I, don't, lose, ever!" Answered the blonde as if the Italian had said the sentence that should never be said, as if she had insulted her, as if she had said the most offensive thing in the world.