chapter 62

Thanksgiving weekend had come quickly. Since the weekend at Lake Crescent Lodge on the Olympic Peninsula, Maya and Carina were more fused than ever, if that was possible.

The Italian had, moreover, that morning joined her companion at the barracks, accompanied by her brother, before they went to the airport to go to Milwaukee, to the mother of the two Italians.

They had three options. Flights from Seattle to Chicago, an hour and a half from Milwaukee, where they would have to be picked up; a flight with a stopover, less expensive, but more inconvenient for them; or finally, a direct but very expensive flight, the only non-stop flight of the day.

Carina had opted for the third solution, to cover the four and a half hours of flight time that separated Seattle from Milwaukee. They had to pay a little less than six hundred dollars per person at this time of the year for the round trip flight, but Alaska Airline was the only one to make this flight, so they were happy with the price. So that flight cost a fortune.

For the outward journey, their flight was going to be at ten forty-five and the return journey was going to be at seventeen thirty-five, as there was only one direct flight per day.

Andrea had hesitated to propose to Jo to come, but he did not know if they were already there in their relationship. Besides that, he didn't want to steal Maya and Carina's thunder. They had been waiting sixteen years for this moment.
Especially the brunette, to finally be able to introduce the woman she loved to her mother, in the flesh.

Andy had planned to drop them off at the airport at the end of their shift, but the Italian couldn't wait for her sweetheart to get home. She had thus joined the station 19 with her brother, at eight in the morning. That is to say one hour before their departure.

-"Buongiorno!!!" Shouted the Italian by entering the barracks.

The office door was open and Maya was inside with Chief Ross.
The SFD chief had turned around and the blonde had turned even whiter than usual.

-"I, I, I'm s-sorry, this is uh... That's my, my partner."

The brunette had poked her head through the door and made a face to apologize.

- "uh... Hello. Sorry... We, we're going to, go upstairs."

- "Mrs. Bishop?" Ross asked as he approached and extended her hand towards the brunette.

- "DeLuca, we, don't... Well, not yet."

Carina had the feeling that she had come back to class and been caught flirting with the blonde in front of a teacher, or worse the principal.

- "Nice to meet you, SFD Head, Natacha Ross."

- "Nice to meet you, Carina"

- "and you are?"

- "uh, hi, I'm the brother of the future Mrs. Bishop, but call me Andrew" he replied, taking her hand.

- "We're going to go upstairs... Continue your... Interview"

Maya had been making big eyes at her girlfriend behind her chief's back. She was not well. She had gone from ultra white, to ultra red in seconds.

Ross had watched Carina and Andrea disappear down the stairs and turned to Maya.

- "you allow civilians in your barracks?"

- "With all due respect, Chief, I don't consider my partner a civilian, nor my brother-in-law. I just got off a night shift, we're going to my... Mother-in-law in Milwaukee, I'm off at nine, the plane's at ten forty-five, Herrera's going to drive us there. She's not just any... Civilian. I've known her since I was sixteen. The time between the end of my shift and our flight is short. Besides... The team loves her. I allow my team to have their spouses and children visit them, as long as it doesn't affect their mission to save the lives of the people of Seattle."