chapter 39

Maya had arrived at the barracks at almost nine o'clock after driving a little over an hour back from her grandmother's house.

When she arrived at Station 19, everything was surprisingly quiet, too quiet. She had gone to her office to change into her outfit and then she had gone upstairs to check on her team.

- "surpriiiiise!!! Happy Birthday Captain!" shouted the firefighters from 19 as she entered the break room.

- "wow did you guys train to be so in sync?"

- "A little, maybe." Dean replied.

She had gone over and taken everyone without her arms one by one.

- "I know it's probably not us you wanted to see first today..." Andy whispered in her ear, which had earned her a slightly sad smile from the blonde.

- "if our captain wants to take the trouble" added Vic, showing her a chair so that she could sit down.

- "and our briefing?!"

- "Captain, it's your birthday, can't we do the briefing over breakfast? Once a year..."

- "if I do it for mine, you'll want to do it for yours"

- "we're not crazy enough not to take a day off for our birthdays... You're the only one who wants to work on your birthday" replied Jack

- "it's not that I want to, it's that I don't mind."

- "Well, I hope you're hungry!" Dean said.

- "you're scaring me"

-"I don't know if we prepared this breakfast for you or for us... There are scrambled eggs, bacon, hasbrowns, tacos, poridge, pancakes, fruits, cereals... Frosted mini wheats of course, and sushi from yesterday" Andy told her

-"and no one thought to make my favorite breakfast".

-"Sorry Captain, we thought it was inappropriate to bring in the pretty Italian girl and lay her on the table" replied Jack

-"How much do you like chores?" Maya asked through clenched teeth as she turned to him.

-"nooo Bishop! I was kidding, not the bathroom please, I'm sick of it."

-"Well, let's say the gym then, there's so much of our sweat germ mixed in there that it wouldn't hurt to spend... Four hours cleaning everything".

- "four hours?!" He asked shocked

- "oh yes four hours, you will rub each weight, each bar, everything" answered Maya in a sensual way.

- "and to answer your question, a protein shake is not breakfast... At least not a breakfast for a birthday party with friends."

-"You should have asked Carina to come, she would have made French toast" Maya whispered to her best friend, sulking a little.

-"She couldn't come... And wouldn't give me her recipe... She said she would... That she would make you some, tomorrow morning... So you're sleeping together again?"

- "wild card!" Maya replied as she sat upright in her chair.

-"Maya it's me," Andy said, leaning forward to keep their conversation between them.

-"Yes, and I know you love me and I know you love Carina and I know you think that even though she's the love of my life, I shouldn't get involved like this because I don't know when she'll be ready. But you know what? Sex isn't everything and yes she's gorgeous and yes I want her, but you know I've been waiting to see her for over ten years so I can wait for the rest."